Chapter 10-Picnic

A Month Later

Charlie POV

Riley and I have never been more close. We have attended couples counseling to resolve our issues. We have made amazing progress. We have attended classes to help when the baby comes along. I have built the crib, painted the nursery light green since we don't know the gender just yet. We have bought unisex toys for the baby and my Riley even bought the baby a Star Wars mobile for the baby to look at. "Riley, how are you feeling?" At that moment, her stomach grumbled loudly. She giggled and said, "Hungry. I'm in the mood for fried chicken. Could we go to that place in Dorchester? Please?" She flashed me her cute puppy eyes. I took me all my strength not to have sex with her. Her doctor said that we can but we would have to take it slow. "You mean that fried chicken place?" She nodded her head. Then, an idea comes into my head. "How about this? I'll go and pick it up, you prepare the picnic basket and blanket, and we can go to Public Garden so we can have a picnic together and then take a Swan boat out on the lake." Riley smiled and gave me a hug. "Alright, love. I'll prepare everything." Riley said. I grab the keys, give Riley a kiss, and walk out. As I am coming onto the freeway, I call the New York Fried Chicken and Pizza restaurant and place my order. A 6-piece mixed with mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and 2 bottles of sweet tea. After 20 minutes, I arrive, pick up and pay for the order. I head to the car and leave. Riley calls me and asks, "Love, I know that you wanted the basket, but what will we drink? I can't have soda or wine." I sighed and said, "I bought us some sweet tea. Bring a bottle of water so if you want, we can dilute it." Riley replied, "Okay, dear. I'll be ready. I love you." I smile and say, "I love you too." I hang up and continue my route home. I am so in love with Riley. I always will.

Riley Ann POV

Charlie pulls up the driveway of the house. Out of the many things I love about him, the fact that he doesn't honk his horn to hurry me up. I put a movie on for Lily and Newt, who is snuggling on the couch. If I didn't know better, they're falling in love. Just kidding. Again they remind me of Charlie and I. Charlie sends me a text saying he had already confirmed our Swan boat ride. I quickly gather our blue and white blanket with a picture of an anchor along with the picnic basket that has napkins, spoons, forks, knives, and plates. I even brought along an umbrella if we are in a sunny place. I rush outside and got into the car. "Smells good, darling," I commented. Charlie smiled and said, "Let's hurry so we can eat and have our boat ride." We then drive over to Public Garden and park our car. Charlie and I walk to the highest hill we could find and placed our umbrella and blanket. Charlie unpacks the chicken on to the plates with mashed potatoes and the macaroni and cheese. "I didn't forget, Here is some ketchup and buffalo sauce. Remember, you can't have a lot." Charlie lectured me. I smiled at him, loving how he was protective of me. The chicken tasted so good as I swallowed the fried crispy crust of the chicken. The mashed potatoes were slathered in brown gravy and the macaroni and cheese was super cheesy. Forgive the pun. Charlie poured me sweet tea and diluted it with water. Charlie and I laughed as we were eating and discussing cases. "So, Dad called me and he said that he will be willing to take Newt and Lily when we go to New York," I said. Charlie looked at me and said, "Hmm. Okay, I'll purchase both the plane and Broadway tickets for what though? What do you want to see, honey?" I laid my head on Charlie's lap and said, "Hmm. We saw Lion King and Wicked. How about Phantom of the Opera or Anastasia?" Charlie smiled and said, "I'll take you to both. Because I love you and I know how much you love those shows." Charlie leaned over and kissed me. We then finished our meal and cleaned up. We picked up our mess, blanket, and our umbrella and placed back in the car. Charlie then picked me up bridal style and rushed to the Swan boats. "CHARLIE! Put me down!" I shrieked. The ticket holder scanned our tickets and said, "You'll have an hour and thirty minutes to ride around. Please, make sure you hold onto your items close to you. Enjoy the ride." Charlie and I step into the boat and the handler pushed us out into the lake. We then began to paddle and Charlie took pictures of us. There were families of ducks following us. As time passed, we were enjoying ourselves and having the time of our lives.Charlie kissed me and held me tight. Suddenly, our happiness was interrupted by one phone call. "This is DA Phoenix. WHAT?! HOW THE FUCK DID THIS HAPPEN?! YOU STUPID IDIOTS!" Charlie's voice was so loud that he scared off the ducks and some other Swan boat riders. Charlie was breathing heavily. His hands were trembling. I lightly touch his arms and ask, "Charlie, what's wrong? Please, tell me." Charlie wiped his mouth and said, "Vince Lee escaped from prison."