Chapter 24

Cynthia had seen Andrew leave his office and give an order to his assistant. She waited a safe two minutes before exiting the staircase and walking up to Andrew's office door. The assistant, having a pair of headphones on her head, was completely oblivious to what was happening behind her. Cynthia pulled out the duplicate key from her handbag, opened Andrew's office, and shut the door silently behind her. The territory was open for her to search.

She decided to start with the drawers under his desk. As she walked over she realized, he hadn't taken the precaution of logging off on his computer. She had planned to take the deed to the copy room once she found it. Now she could just scan it and store on her flash drive. Her stars were aligned.

She moved the mouse to prevent it from automatically going on standby before starting her search in the drawers. One of the drawers was filled with stationery. The second one had a stack of envelopes on it. Cynthia pulled out the envelopes and started removing the stapled bunches of paper from each one of them, scanning the first couple of pages, and replacing the bunches. The deed wasn't in any of the envelopes. She opened the third drawer. There was a stack of papers in there too. She pulled them out and scanned them. Nothing.

Cynthia looked around in a panic. What if it wasn't even in the office? Just as she was starting to think she should have searched the home office first, she spotted a stack of papers hanging over the edge of the cabinet in the corner. She walked over quickly and pulled them off. There, in bold letters under a layer of dust, she read, "DEED OF SALE AND ASSIGNMENT." Several paragraphs down, she read the same address she had seen on the papers in the home office. It was the lodge. She glanced back to the top to read the date: 24 November 2006. Five months before their wedding.

Cynthia thought that she would be happy to find the deed. It was what was going to help her bring him down. But now looking at it, and finally coming face to face with her husband's deception, her heart sank. He really had been lying to her.

Under the shadow of a doubt, she held on to the flimsy hope that she wasn't so terrible of a wife as to make him cheat and lie. But now her fears were confirmed.

It took some effort for her to ignore the needle that had just pierced her heart and to finish the task at hand. Blinking away the tears, she walked over to the printer, dusted off the deed before placing it on the plate, and hit the scan button. Then she walked over to the computer, confirmed the scan, and plugged in her flash drive.

Remembering to replace the deed just as she had found it on top of the cabinet, Cynthia exited the office just as quietly as she had come in. Back in the staircase, she texted "Done" to Stacy.

 Back in the staircase, she texted "Done" to Stacy