Chapter 17

Cynthia could hear the school bell ringing as she made the final turn to her children's school. She had underestimated the amount of traffic there would be from Stacy's to the school. At least that's what she made herself think. In reality, it might have been more about her getting too lost in the scheming that she ignored the ticking clock for way too long.

She parked at her usual spot and waited for the kids to come running to the car. With her fingers drumming on the steering wheel, she turned around to look out the window. There, leaning on a dark blue BMW, was the perfect specimen of a man, sleeves rolled up, top buttons undone. Cynthia's eyes reached his face and she noticed her reflection in his sunglasses. She quickly turned away from him, slightly embarrassed.

"Hey there! How are you doing?" The man said in a husky voice.

"I'm alright. Just... uh... here to pick up the kids." Cynthia stuttered. "And... and... how are you?"

"Can't complain. As long as the kid's doing well, I'm happy. I've got a daughter. Prettiest thing ever. Growing up too fast though. What do you have?"

"A daughter too. And a son. Yeah, they grow up way too fast. Soon you'll be seeing them walking down the aisle and making their own babies." Cynthia cursed herself as soon as she had said that. "How could you say something so stupid?"

"Hahaha!" he laughed a soul-deep laugh that rang through the air. Apparently, he had a different opinion of what she had said. "God forbid! I'm not ready to be a granddad so soon. She's not allowed to grow up that fast." He turned away from her and she followed his gaze to a tall slender girl that looked about 11 years-old.

"Is that her?" she asked.

"Yeah. Gorgeous, isn't she?" He looked at the girl admiringly.

"Beautiful! You got a good one on you. Better take care of her."

"Oh, you bet I will!" He opened his arms to hug the girl when she got close enough, "How are you, my darling?" he said as he hugged her and kissed her forehead.

"Great as always, dad! But I'm starving so you better have made that apple pie as you promised," the girl replied.

"Oh shoot!"

"Dad!" she exclaimed in mock complaint. "It's okay, we'll get one on the way home," she said with a smile still lingering on her face as she got into the passenger seat of the car.

"I'll make it up to you at dinner, okay?"

"Sure. I'll help you make it. I love cooking with you, as you already know."

He turned to Cynthia and said, "Oh the struggle to be a good parent."

"I know right," Cynthia replied. The whole scene amused her. She hadn't seen such fatherly love in a long time.

"Okay. I better get going. See you around," he got into his BMW and drove away.

Cynthia was still smiling when her own kids got into the car. "Hi mom!" the kids said, almost in unison. Mary got into the front seat, her favorite, while Sam slid into the back.

"Hey sweethearts! Was school alright?" Cynthia responded.

"Yes, it was great," Mary responded excitedly. "I made a new friend today. Her name is Sarah. She's an exchange student from..." and like that Mary began her cheerful narration of the day. They drove home with her voice as the only music in the car.

 They drove home with her voice as the only music in the car