Scene 4

NORFOLK, VIRGINIA 7:50 PM

The wheels of Cody's silver Chrysler rolled into the small rectangle parking lot of the three store apartment building. The parking lot was definitely inadequate for the number of occupants renting in the building, and with the five cop cars and two large, square-like Medical Examiner and O.S.I vans swarming the lawn, it felt more like an over-crowded college frat party than a crime scene. Cody parked along the edge of the crime scene tape that blocked the east staircase of the building and observed the ten Virginian cops, that he counted, scattered around the apartment redirecting renters to the north entrance.

"We're late to the party." Cody chuckled, unbuckling and hopping out of the car, to join Kim who was a few seconds ahead of him.

The only lights illuminating the parking lot were the dim street lamps and the cop's annoying flashing blue and red lights; that wasn't nearly the amount required to fully see ahead without some-what squinting.

The chilling spring wind swept over Kimberly's long bare legs, making her regret refusing Cody's request to change back at her house. Her yardwork outfit wasn't the O.S.I uniform she was required to wear at each crime scene, but "To hell with it" she thought, as she knocked on the back door of one of the O.S.I vans.

As soon as her knuckles landed on the cold, white metal surface of the van, the two doors opened and an Italian man in his early thirties stumbled out carrying two heavy duffle bags full of equipment.

"Awe," he sighed when he saw his two co-workers, "it's been too soon."

"Nice to see you too, Moretti." Cody rolled his eyes at their three-year-old probie, and relieved him of one duffles, throwing it over one of his broad shoulders.

Moretti, the handsome Italian, jumped out of the back of the van and then observed his co-workers attire, "Guess you guys really embraced the fantasy that we would really have a weekend free. See, I- being as smart as I am- never believed it. I sat by my phone until Boss gave me a call."

"Hmm, so you're the one that jinxed us? And we were so close to having a somewhat normal life." Kimberly grabbed a smaller-sized duffle and secured the strap over her shoulder.

"Nah, he probably was waiting for that hottie from our last case to finally give him a call," the Marine teased, while he began to walk towards the apartment.

"Ah, right, that little Dixie-chick that screwed up our last case. Wasn't her name, Candy, or was another girl you tried picking up?"

"Hey, her name was Felicia, and for your information, she was just practicing her rights, okay?" The Italian defended.

"By pleading the fifth on the stands to get her ex out of a conviction?" Kimberly rolled her eyes.

Moretti smirked, "I do pick the smartest."

"You mean smartasses," Cody ducked under the police tape and flashed a badge and I.D at the Probie cop put on crowd-control.

"Well, she had a nice ass too, but that's just a bonus," Moretti smirked, shutting the van doors and then securing them with by turning the locks.

Kimberly scoffed, "Seriously though, what were your plans for this weekend?"

Kimberly approached the Police tape and watched as the Probie Officer got ready to stop her just before she flaunted her badge and I.D to detour around the long explanation of her attire. She stooped beneath the tape, then joined Cody by the apartment stairwell door.

It wasn't long before Moretti caught up to them, and with a long sigh he responded, "I was going to play some baseball, or watch it... it was really dependent upon my mood."

There was a lot to love about their three-year-old Italian Probie, but his fabricated fibs were not one of them. Kim still didn't understand why, after three years, he felt the need to hide his personal life from them. But she showed no condemnation, she couldn't because she was just as guilty. Life as a fed had many obstacles, and when it came to relationships you do what works best for you.

She jerked her mind back to their conversation only to hear Moretti exclaim, "No, Kim just likes you covered in sweat, dirt, and plaid like a wood-chopping Mainer. Which by the way, the vibrant red, yeah... it really brings out the color in your eyes."

To this, Kim snorted indefinitely. They sure did love their Italian probie.