Scene 5

Agent Kimberly Scotts exited the stairwell and immediately focused her attention on a woman, sophisticated both in years and looks, who lingered a little ways down the hall with a Policeman. She started down the hall towards her awaiting Boss, observing the strange apartment decor. The red and green carpet, on which her feet trod upon, irradiated headaches by its bizarre and disorganized patterns. She thought that if she looked down once more she might get dizzy, so she looked up at the pale blue walls. Seeing that the walls were no better, she cringed. The interior designer must have been color-blind or high to make such a puke-worthy decision; by smashing the violent green and red, with the calm sea blue.

In her observation, Kim noted that there were only three doors on each side of the hall, which based on the small size of the apartment building, wasn't too abnormal. She studied the apartment door locks as she passed them. With all her experience in the field, it would only take her ten seconds to pick the lock on these doors. If she was trying to beat her best time, she could do it in less. Kimberly hadn't seen the crime scene yet, but with the additional information of the cheap locks, she knew that their suspect list just grew a whole lot bigger.

Suddenly a sharp bark disrupted Kimberly's thoughts and her Boss's conversation with the local P.D. It came from the apartment across from the taped off door to the crime scene.

"I'll have one of my agents alert you when we're finished." The Sophisticated woman turned to Kim, concluding her conversation with the Police Chief.

The Chief tipped his hat in gratitude and then joined the rest of his men at the end of the hall. The policemen were all crowded around the apartment, that Kimberly guessed, was the crime scene.

She stopped a few feet away from her Boss; and feeling curious, she dared to venture into the woman's personal life, "How was your day, Audrey?"

While straightening out her navy blue O.S.I jacket, her Boss, gave her a glare, but reluctantly answered, "It wasn't as long as I had hoped, but I got things done. Ergo, it was a productive day."

With the conclusion of her words, she smiled slightly in arrogance, as if there was some inside joke that Kimberly would never know. She then gestured for Kim to follow her down the hall, her long legs carrying her willowy body closer to the cluster of cops. Audrey sighed heavily, "But that is more than our dead Pilot could say."

"I.D?"

Kim's illusive Boss tucked her blonde hair under a cap, stalling her response while they passed a batch of V.A cops in the hall, "Our body's name is Hannah Joyce. A Warrant Officer stationed at the Norfolk, Naval Base."

"Why a Naval Base?" She crossed her arms, following closely behind.

Audrey hesitated slightly, and in hushed tones, she responded, "Warrant Officer Joyce was one of the few caught in the middle of the political pissing match between SecNav and SecForce."

"A.C.P?" Curiosity peaked Kim's eyebrows as she gave an abrupt smile.

Without looking over her shoulder, Audrey corrected Kim's unwanted excitement, "Nothing to smile about, Agent. It just means we'll have Navy Cops pawing over our evidence and rushing us along."

"I know. It's just... interesting, I guess." Kim then hid her smile with a question, "Who discovered her?"

Audrey pulled a notepad from her jacket pocket and read off the words scribbled down on its yellowed paper, "'Mrs. Birdy'? She's the neighbor across the hall from our Pilot. Mrs. Birdy claims she saw the Pilot's door open when she was going out to walk her dog. Went to check on her and found the corpse instead. That's all the V.A cops got when they arrived on the scene, but I want us to reinterview her."