Scene 10

O.S.I Headquarters, Quantico, VA, 4:28 am

The Burger King takeout bag rustled in Kimberly's cold, rigid hand as she made her way down the gray-walled hallway. Her mind wandered back and forth between the cold spring weather and the strange conversation with Audrey. Deciding it was best not to overwhelm her mind on zero sleep, she chose to ponder her Boss's conversation. She had asked Kimberly to take lead on the interrogation of their suspect. Kim had agreed, but not without thinking through reasons why Audrey would give up a chance to break a cheating, psycho like Perkins. Either way, with the new responsibility to break this suspect, Kimberly had to think hard about what approach she would take in the interrogation.

From her first encounter with Perkins, he had hidden his remorse and sorrow for the death of Joyce very well, and Kim didn't think showing him all their cards would help their case. But a less direct strategy might provoke him to offer his information up freely, without a lawyer and without charging him. All she had to do now, was to come up with a good excuse for dragging him out of bed that early in the morning.

Nearing the interrogation room with every step, Kimberly cut a corner sharply only to stop abruptly at the sight of her two co-workers, standing in her way. They looked like they'd been there for at least a few minutes.

"What's this?" With eyebrows furrowed, she continued on unfazed as they joined her in a speeding mall-walk down the hall.

"Cody and I found something," Moretti was almost comical at the opportunity to start, "You know how you told me to look further into Kennedy's records and military history because she had the same bank transactions as our victim Joyce-,"

Kimberly interrupted the poor probie by raising her hand, silencing him almost immediately, "Can you give me the short version? I need to prep for Whitley's integration; he might be our only suspect and we need to nail him."

Moretti tried to sputter out all the words he could, before she interrupted him again, "That's it! He's not."

This had her attention. Kimberly put a pause on her crazy-lady-after-the-on-sale-shoes walk and let him give her it all, mid-hallway.

"Okay." She crossed her arms and waited for Moretti to continue. After a few short moments of them staring at each other blankley, she helped him along, "Whose our second suspect?"

"Flight Officer Kennedy," Cody answered in place of a stunned Moretti.

"Hey, hey, hey, this is my discovery!" Their probie argued.

The marine didn't hold back his black-lady sass for Moretti's sake as he gave it to him straight, "You were taking too long."

"I was emphasizing the importance of the lead with my silence!"

"Emphasizing with silence? What does that even mean?"

"It-,"

"Guys! Is there a point here?" She asked, interrupting their petty argument.

"She lied." They both said at the same time.

Intrigued now, Kimberly leaned against one of the walls, ready to be schooled.

"Kennedy said she barely knew Joyce before working at Norfolk Naval Base." Moretti stared at Cody, giving him a not-so-subtle "your turn" look.

"Lies!" Cody sang out off-key, making all of them cringe in unison. Embarrassed at their reaction, he returned to his normal talking voice as he proceeded, "She knew Joyce well before Norfolk. Kennedy was Joyce's co-pilot on several rearming missions overseas. She also said she was relocated to Norfolk."