Scene 14

Director's Office - O.S.I Headquarters - Quantico, VA, - 8:50 am

Allowing its occupant space to spread out and work comfortably, the O.S.I Director's office was rather large. The room's red leather sofa and reclining chairs were set up to the right of the office doors and encouraged the resident to use them often. As for the walls, they were painted with a nice, dark navy blue, though the color was mostly hidden by the overwhelming number of naked bookshelves mounted on it. There were cardboard boxes, containing unknown possessions hidden under their flaps while crowding several different areas of the office. With the numerous amount of book crates and file containers, one could barely see the ash-colored carpet where they sat undisturbed. But it wasn't like one often looked down to take notice anyhow.

The mid-morning sun streamed through the skylight and the floor-to-ceiling windows behind the director's medium-sized, wooden desk. The windows provided a refreshing atmosphere in the office as well as a good view of the Prince Williams Forest Park just on the outskirts of the government building.

The walnut-colored desk, in which the new esteemed director sat behind, had barely anything on its surface along with the dust outlines of what had occupied the space in the previous director's time. The new director's sea salt, blue eyes were fixated on the dust like it was a ghost. It wasn't hard to wipe the dust off but yet he had been avoiding it for two weeks now. He shook his head and slicked back his blonde hair with his sweaty palms; unsure of what the next few moments would bring. There was a single item on the desk and it was a landline phone that suddenly rang, making the director jump in his cushioned chair.

He pressed the red button on the landline's black, plastic surface making the caller's voice project out loud.

"Yeah, Tonia?"

"Director Crost, Agent Maxwell is here as requested." His secretary's voice came over the scratchy speaker.

"Thank you. Send her in." Director Crost straightened out his sky blue tie and gave a deep sigh as he ended the call.

Suddenly the two metal doors of his office opened but only one of the two agents he had requested, entered.

"Agent Maxwell, Agent-," Crost was surprised, but he continued with his rehearsed lines nevertheless, "thank you for coming."

He stood and wiped his sweaty hand on his black suit before offering it to the agent.

Audrey glared at it, sighing deeply, "Director Crost, I'm not sure if you're aware, but I'm in the middle of a high-profile case so if we could keep this short..." she let him fill in the blank.

The Director awkwardly retracted his hand and gestured for her to sit in one of the two chairs set before his desk. He went to recline in his own and quickly became aware that Audrey had no intention of joining him.

He nodded, "Agent Maxwell, you have considerably impacted the agency throughout your thirty-two years in service, and-,"

"Short version." The agent rudely interrupted her new boss, catching him off guard a little.

"Well, I guess I could just get to the point," he hid a slight smile, "Your presences is no longer needed. That short enough?" Intertwining his fingers, he supported himself as he leaned over his desk awaiting the agent's response.

Audrey chuckled in disbelief and gave a bitter smile.

"Okay. You've got my attention." The women moved around the two chairs to plant herself in one, "Why?"

"You've enjoyed your time here, haven't you, Agent Maxwell?"

"Yes. But what does that have to do with anything?" Audrey straightened out a wrinkle in her pantsuit with her long fingers, while never taking an eye off the director.