Chapter 14

Wilson snapped awake, the fresh vision of red eyes and black feathers making him shiver.

They had swirled around him in his dream, their caws around him. One attacked him, scratching out his eyes. It felt like hell.
They spoke of failure, betrayal, even death was in their voice. They even spoke about Alter Ego’s intentions.

At least, he thought they spoke about Argo’s intentions.

Turning over in his bed, Wilson covered his head with a pillow, grumbling angrily about the early morning. He was still groggy from sleep. He hadn’t had a good sleep in ages.

The last week felt like just hangovers and knockouts.

“Morning sunshine!” Alastair’s voice called, the girl leaping from out of nowhere. Her lantern in hand as she stepped over to Wilson’s bunk.

“It's too early.” He shifted uncomfortably. “Let me sleep…”
The sun hadn't even rose yet.

“That’s the thing... I can’t.” Alastair shook his shoulder, “There’s a ship here for you.”

Wilson slowly sat up, realization striking him in the head, “The letter!”
He had sent it before going to bed, bribing the harpy to take it to the Capital for him. With a punch to the arm and a quick ‘I’ll be back’ Jacques was gone.

He left nothing more than a feather behind.

Wilson leapt from his bed, instantly regretting the decision. Pain shot through his ankle.

He fell forward, the dark bruises from the last display of strength suddenly appearing again.

“Are you okay?” Alastair giggled, helping him to his feet.

“I'm fine, I'm fine. Just hurt,” Wilson confirmed, dusting off his sand ridden clothes and heading to the door.
He hid his slight limp.

The ship that had landed wasn't as golden or as big as the last ship. Emmy was already up, being yelled at by her captain to guide the ship to a decent landing place.

It looked like it was only meant for a few people.

Wilson's face lit up.

“Charlotte I’m so glad to see you here with us!” Wilson rushed over, embracing the woman.

“I'm so glad I was able to reach you, this whole trip has been-”

“Disastrous, I know.” Charlotte hummed, pushing Wilson away, “I've made a note about it. How many people were lost in the crash? Food? Water?”

Wilson blanked, “I'm supposed to know all of that-”

“Of course, the king didn't send you out for a holiday! Where is the captain!” she demanded, storming in the direction of Alastair.

Alastair’s hand was held out, a light smile on her face to greet the older woman.

Charlotte walked right past her.

“Where is Alter Ego? He is still here, right? Right?” Charlotte scream was full of paranoia, Wilson turning to the tavern.

“Of course,” He said, “I guess he didn’t get the memo to get up…” Wilson chuckled heading back to the the tavern to wake Argo up. He hadn’t seen the halfling come back, the night falling and the town’s lights going out.

Carefully climbing up the ladder, following the distant snoring that came from the top of the tavern’s beds and peeking at the snoring halfling.

Wilson gave a reassuring sigh.