Chapter 8

"-This is super important. Argo, the kingdoms were divided into two classes. The nomads, who wanted to stay with the tradition of Alura and those who went to Deskeen. The kingdom eventually fell and- Ar... Argo?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, you're putting me to sleep with how boring you sound."
WIlson huffed. "Listen please." He snapped. "They should have a city with the leader living there just a bit off the forest and ravine. Scorpion's Paradise is what it is called."

"Oh, good. I don't want to go anywhere closer to the desert."
Wilson tensed. The further you traveled the worse it got. Not just with the heat but the creatures that dwelled within the sand were at every corner.

Following the docks and the busy looking travelers, they both stepped onto the deck of the large royal ship. Long and made of metal, gold and silver decorated the sides and front of the ship. The sails puffed outward, wind catching into them and the crew tied the ropes to keep the boat steady. A sculpture of a dragon's head sat at the front. Steam blew upward as the knights and pilots plotted out their course.
Wilson merely shut his book tight and hurried out of the way.

People looked them back and forth, moving away from Argo with glares and fire in their eyes.
A few knights even made some saddened looks in Argo's direction, disappointed that their friend was being treated in such a way.

"Oh, Charlotte!" Wilson hurried forward, catching the woman off guard. "I've been doing my research on the desert and I think I might-"
His voice was cut off by the sound of a steam whistle blew overhead, drowning out his voice and announcing the ships prepare for sailing.

Charlotte hummed, "Good choice, I hear that place is full of danger."
That's what is scaring me...
"We can handle it." Argo hissed, stepped beside Wilson. "The king has plenty of knights follow us on board. We'll be fine."
"Welp, I wish you both the best of luck." Charlotte stepped backwards and bowed her head.
Wilson frowned, "You're not coming with us." He flinched as Argo jabbed him in the side.
"Oh, no!" She merely laughed. "I have my chores to do. Plus between you and me, I hate flying." Charlotte turned to the deck. "You two have your fun, do as the queen says and please don't start a war."
Argo saluted. "Will do..." He said boldly yet his tone was sarcastic. "But I can't make any promises." Wilson heard Argo mutter. With a shudder, Wilson quickly remembered Argo was joking.
Charlotte nodded and strutted away.
A quick whack to the back of the head sent Wilson in panic.

Argo rolling his eyes as Wilson Rubbed the pain away.

"You sound like you wanted her to come with us!" He whined, stepping onto the steam boat. Wilson followed him, the golden and bronze steam boat rocking back and forth as the pilots prepared for liftoff. The sails that's held it up were slowly being being refilled with air, the gentle rumble of the engines on the sides of the ship and beneath their feet.

Wilson shrugged, "Well, she has worked with the castle plenty of times! I thought she was coming to help us."
He looked over the edge of the boat and out at the forest. Dark clouds circled overhead yet the orange sun lit them up. Twilight. "Y'know, she is on our side."

Argo jabbed a finger in Wilson's chest and clicked his tongue. "She's on your side. I'm the one who killed the princess, remember."
"Oh, course." Wilson rolled his eyes. He would prefer to forget that detail. He glanced over the edge at the plane. "I swear, I'm going to puke when this things takes off."
As if on cue the plane shifted for take off, making Wilson cling to the boat side even tighter.
"Puking, flying, complaining?" Wilson looked up as the voice was familiar. "I would recognize that voice anywhere."
Wilson turned, barely recognising the girl with the blue bandana around her neck. She sat with a hand on her hip and a smirk on her face. The red hair tied backward. It took him a moment before he finally connected it.
Ezmeralda.