Chapter 10

Their voices were low. No sound came from the outside, only the gentle rustling of horse reins.
Wilson was sure his heartbeat echoed in his ears.

As the shadow of the bulky figure moved beyond the window and passed the door a voice broke the silence.

"Search the area. If anyone was in that storm this is the only place to go is here." The female voice demanded. It was cool, smooth like ice.

Wilson sank in his chair. There were more than one.

The three gave each other a look, Wilson's eyes returning to the door.
"Ma'am, we see some smoke in the distance, should be start there?"

"Don't. Check inside."

The doorknob jiggled around the person outside having minor difficultly in opening the door. The room went still as the door was opened and two troops stepped inside.

Silky clothes hung off their skin and armour was pressed around them. Through the masks they wore, they stared with anticipation. The first one held out a shield and a golden pistol.

Wilson immediately shot up, holding his hands up.

"Don't shoot!" he snapped. His legs shook like jello, "We're sorry if we trespassed. We just need the help."

The two gaurds looked back at one another before one of them looked back.
"Ma'am, we found some survivors."

The masked fighters let their weapons fall to their side, gesturing them outside.

Wilson watching the gun, not daring to take his eyes off it. As they stepped out of the room, a slick black and white speckled horse sat before them.
A young girl sat atop it, a lanturn in her own hands that let the red light glow off her golden brown skin and her long curly hair.
It whined and attempted to pull away from them. She pulled at the reins of the horse.

Her ears were rounded, Wilson noted.

One of the gaurds sat up and cleared his throat.

"Ma'am, we found another man in here. The homeowner we think. He's been dead for quite some time."

For a moment the world went still.

The young lady looked down at the knights from her horse, "So? Bury it-"

"And we also found a rebel flag."

Wilson gave one another a questioning glance. Rebel flag? There were no rebels in the desert. Why would there be? It was already a mix of theives and the like.

What could rebels possibly be rebeling against?

"Wrap it up and bring to the forest edge. We leave it for the buzzards," The young lady spoke in a tone that made Wilson's bones rattle.

"Do you know what happened here?" she turned back to the three and smiled, her long white dress flowing in the soft wind.

Argo was the first to speak up, "Our plane crashed in the storm. Many people were hurt, we were just looking for someone to help us."

"Well then lucky you have us." she smiled, grey eyes smiling down at him. "Alastair."
"Alter Ego miss," Argo gave a bow, Wilson and Emmy mimicing the bow.

"Wilson Glints and-" Wilson bowed.

"Ezmeralda Perci."

Alastair's horse pulled against her reins but she kept it idle.
She said, "Take us to this crash."

Out of options, Argo lead the newcomers to the shipwreck. The day slowly beginning. Birds took to the trees and the sounds of the forest grew louder.