Chapter 7

Wilson and Argo sat just outside the ghetto.

Trash littered the streets as the crowds dimmed out and no one dared to walk into the neighborhood.

Both of them on the curb of the street and waiting for the other to speak.

At least Wilson took Argo's sudden silence to be him waiting for Wilson to make the first move. The halfling didn't look like he was in the mood to speak.

His eyes didn't go from dilating to round after they were escorted from the trial. Wilson couldn't guess why the guards had escorted Argo and him out, simply leaving them on the sidewalk. Wilson didn't question it, the three guards throwing jokes back and forth between each other. Occasionally Wilson thought the halfling was watching him but he said nothing.

Finally, Argo let out a sigh.

"I need a drink. I'm too tired for this." Was his only response while rubbing his wrists where the handcuffs had been. It was a step up from receiving the cold shoulder.

Wilson shifted so his bag was in his lap.

He stammered, "Argo I'm sorry I didn't mean to get so involved-"

"It isn't your fault, gave me a heart attack when you came in though." Argo huffed before standing to his feet. He didn't offer Wilson a hand as he stood up.

"I doubt... you have a house to stay in if you were working at the castle."

Wilson nodded. "Yeah, I-" He stopped himself and smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, I don't have a place to stay."

They walked for the short distance, Wilson simply watching the children play. They tossed dice around, some of them waving fake swords like mad men while others braided hair and baskets. He adjusted the bag on his shoulder, jumping as child ran by being chase by a black dog.

A few other civilians waving at him and called out his name. Argo merely waved to them in silence, shaking his head in solemn.

They climbed up the steps to a candle light apartment. Wilson would have questioned the candles in the middle of the day but stayed quiet. The flames glowed blue.

"I will warn you right now. If you don't like kids, find somewhere else to stay." He turned and said. Wilson wanted to ask but Argo already had the door open and stepped inside.

"I'm bah-" He couldn't finish the saying before he was tackled to the floor by three other children. A girl and two boys. They were around five to six, each of them trying to wrestle Argo into submission.

They were screaming and laughing some form of "Alter is back!" or "Alter Ego is home!"

Wilson blinked and shut his mouth tight. "You have kids!"

Argo got around, he could take a guess from what the halfling had said and did, but kids...

"Little cousins!." He corrected Wilson, resting his head against floor, chuckling heartily. "Joy, Distain, and Keen." He pointed out each of them.

Wilson remembered the girl with silver hair and the members of the band only a few days before. He wondering how many members of Argo's family lived in the Capital. It all felt like some long lost dream that made him yearn for that reality. When everything had gone right.

One of the boys, Keen, took Argo's hand and bit on his fingers with razor sharp teeth, Argo snatching his hand away.

"Hey, do you want me to tell Mum. I will." He threatened them.

The boy only giggled in response before jumping off him. Argo was quickly on his feet again gesturing Wilson inside.

It was a small apartment, the children's beds piled like a bunk bed. Two bed curtains leading off to other rooms. It smelt of smoke from the candles and the faintest scent of cinnamon made it homely.