Chapter 22

It didn't take long for a conversation to start up again.

"So, Argo where were you?" One of the strangers in the room spoke up, "And who are these guys?"

Wilson peeked open an eye, too tired to introduce himself. He would do it later once he recovered from aching muscles and bloody wounds. A stranger passed him a towel to wipe his face. They had similar wounds.

"Yeah, the Chief was worried sick!"

"Nick went missing weeks ago!" Another stranger mentioned, "We found his body- rather most of his skeleton- surrounded by buzzards."

The rebel in the shack. Alastair had probably sent her men to kill him. As either a diversion or perhaps a trap. Sad to think they had just thrown him to the buzzards without a second thought on what or who he really was.

"We were almost taken out at the eastern checkpoint!"

"We lost twenty soldiers there!"

"You're supposed to be a leader!"

Argo jumped to his feet, "Okay, first off lets get some water for my friends here; then we can talk politics!" He demanded.

Mia, after making sure Emmy had on a secure bandage, "Actually, Argo-" She got in his face (standing on her tippy toes to try and see eye to eye with him) "Please explain to us what you were trying to plan? Cause it nearly got us killed."

The others nodded in agreement, murmuring among themselves.

Although, his smile suggested otherwise, Argo looked almost fearful, "I was doing some inside spying. I almost got close enough to Alastair to kill her, Charlotte too."

Wilson winced, the reminder of the past few days flashing back to him. Yet the halfling was proud. He was unfazed by the memory.

Mia squeezed the bridge of her nose, "Argo, we already had spies in the castle."

"Oh," was the only thing Argo could say.

Even if it wasn't his place to speak, Wilson spoke his mind, "Well, what were those spies doing?"

He wasn't sure why had asked that question. He wasn't sure if he really understood what he was saying. Of maybe he was still a tiny bit mad that Mia hadn't been able to save him before he had killed Jacques. They could have broken them out after all.

Argo waved Wilson off, "Wilson, stay out of this."

Mia shushed him, "No, he makes a good point-" She turned to the crowd behind her, "Everyone out! We need some privacy."

The soldiers nodded, hurrying out the room, with their injuries and supply of water.

Once the room was empty, Mia addressed Wilson, "We had spies keeping an eye on the bell."

Pressing the cloth to his face Wilson grew unamused, "You haven't been doing a very good job on that."

Mia sneered, "You don't get it. The more troops we put out there the stronger Alastair will get."

Wilson paused, lost by what she meant.

Mia filled him in, "From what we know, they drag off people and use them to power their mystery weapon."

Emmy's eyes went wide, "You can't be serious."

"Yes, our actual-" She hissed in Argo's direction "-spies were able to get close enough to it. It is covered in various runes. Each one powered by the magic of other magic bearers."

Was that possible? To remove the magic from another creature.

"It is an incredibly harmful process," Argo mentioned, "A rare few can survive it and their magic luckily comes back. That or they lose it forever."

Mia crossed her arms, "They plan to eventually take control of The Capital. You've experienced what this whole bell thing can do. Controlling other's lives is what they want to do."

Wilson remembered the words he had spat while he won in the arena.

Wilson laughed nervously, "And you rebels have already figured out how to destroy this thing, right?"

The room grew deadly silent.

"No, we haven't."

"Did you try everything?" Argo and Emmy asked at the same time, shocked by the information. Wilson cringed, realizing just how close both of them been to getting their magic taken away.

"Everything from shattering it to scratching the runes out of place," Mia sighed, "Regeneration and extra protection makes getting rid of that thing a pain."

The bell was going to cause mass genocide.

Wilson sighed, "Argo, you have to destroy that bell."

Argo blinked, "Why me?" He said confused.

"Not you directly. Just someone needs to destroy that bell before it leaves this kingdom."

Mia smile, "Why don't you?"

Everyone in the room jolted up, tense from the way Mia had made the suggestion. It was one of the sainier questions Wilson had been asked yet he still didn't understand.

"We could always use a few extra hands on deck," Mia explained, "And you both did a pretty good job keeping that bird brain from killing Alter so..."

Wilson tensed, swallow back puke. He had killed someone. He had killed someone who could have been saved.

"Mia stop." Argo crossed his arms.

She pressed on, "Come on Argo. We lost soldiers. We are losing soldiers."

"Mia, no."

"What do you say Wilson? Our lives might be on the line but hey, they're on the line for a good cause."

Wilson sassed her, "And what could that be?"

"Freedom."

Wilson went silent.

But he was free. For now he was at least. If he escaped would the Watch come after him again? Would he forever wake up with the silhouette of a hooded figure on the horizon? Would he look out his window and a raven would forever haunt him? Or would he be killed in his very home like the rebel in the shack?

He finally settled with, "I'll tell you tomorrow. Okay?" Wilson walked away from Argo's side and sat beside Emmy. She only watched him in shock, eyes wide while he rested beside her.

"I need time to think and I'm... tired, you know?"

Argo nodded, as if to agree that he had said the right thing. Mia placed one hand on her hip, raising her chin up.

"Well, when you change your minds, please let us know-" Mia smiled before moving the curtain to the side and slipped out of the room, "Dinner will be soon. I'll send someone to get you." Were her last words, Argo refusing to look at her while she did so.