Chapter Nine: Ego the size of China.

Riley's POV.

They call it fall because everything is falling. Leaves from trees, temperature, bank balances, people even fall in love.

It's funny how fall is so beautiful yet, really, everything is dying.

It had been exactly one week since the Kai incident and we hadn't talked since. We didn't even run into each other like we always did, which made me think it wasn't so much of a coincidence.

I saw him a few times with Kara and Melanie, other times he was alone. He never approached me like he usually did, sometimes I felt like he couldn't even see me.

I was getting used to him not constantly calling and texting everyday. But just because I was used to it didn't mean I didn't miss it.

He was definitely better off without me in his life. He had Melanie, so, he was good.

I managed to tell Maddy everything and surprisingly, she wasn't even mad. She was just glad that it didn't get too serious.

Did I want it to get serious?

Maybe.

But it was too late for that.

It was Saturday afternoon and I was at my favourite, and recently discovered cafe. I sat at my favourite spot drinking my second cup of coffee with a chocolate flavoured croissant.

I loved that cafe. It was the best place to read my novels. It was peaceful and the smell of coffee brewing and bread baking made it so much better.

Unfortunately I was reading a romance novel at the time and with every page I read, the more I thought about Kai.

The cafe had a bell that rang every time somebody walked in. For some reason it didn't even distract me. I was so engrossed in my book to even notice someone walk over and sit right across from me.

I looked up after sensing their presence and wished I never did.

This is when the universe has decided to turn on me!

"What are you doing here?"

"I missed my princess and you have been avoiding me"

I laughed because I had such terrible luck in life.

"Go away! I'm reading."

"I see that!"

I never moved my eyes from my book, hoping that he'd leave but he just sat there, the entire time.

"Why are you still here?"

"Well, I came for some coffee, and I wanted to talk to you but I don't want to interrupt, like the gentleman I am, so I'll just wait till you're done."

"Go wait somewhere else, it's creepy."

"But I love looking at you. I like how you look when you read and how your emotions change with every line you read."

No. It's just one of his mind games.

"Kai don't!"

"Don't what? I haven't seen or heard from you in a week Riley! I want to know what's going on. The last time I checked, you were mad at me for something you weren't supposed to be."

I closed my book and finally paid attention to him.

"I wasn't mad!"

"Then why haven't you been talking to me?"

"Because I felt like you don't need me to!"

Simple.

"What? Why the-" He stopped mid-sentence and began laughing.