Chapter 10: Putting my heart on the line.

Riley's POV.

Kai and I stayed talking for a little while longer before he had to leave. We got to know so much more about each other and I was starting to feel so comfortable and so genuine around him.

I didn't expect our relationship to go this far. I didn't even understand what we had. I wasn't even sure that what he said about what he felt for me was true.

Can I trust him?

My attention was drawn to a very exhausted looking Maddy who was walking in.

"Ughh!" She said as she jumped onto her bed.

"Hello to you too Madds!" I said as she turned and faced the ceiling.

"Have you ever just been so tired that you wish the world would just stand still so you can sleep and wake up to find nothing's changed?" She asked me with her eyes barely open.

"Sometimes. What's got you so tired?"

"Life! I had been piling so much work that's due on Monday for this weekend and, well, it was not a very good idea!"

Maddy is a journalism major so she does a lot of paperwork and essays. She's constantly typing and carrying around papers. I think journalism was definitely her thing.

"Plus I went for soccer tryouts today and the last time I ran before today was five months ago!"

"You play soccer?"

"No, but I made a stupid bet with my sister so I kinda had to!"

I laughed because she looked so miserable. Among the three of us, Liv, Maddy and I, Liv and I were more athletic compared to Maddy. Although Maddy was a cheerleader, it was only at the beginning of high school and after that, she let herself go.

Liv was in the gymnastics team and I was in the swim team. Of course I didn't want to do it, but my mom was in the swim team in her days and so was my grandma and I think I'll probably be forced to enroll my daughter in the swim team too.

It hit me that most of my decisions in life were not for myself but for my parents.

I just loved them too much to let them down. But I couldn't complain, swimming wasn't so bad. Plus it gave me an extra skill to put on my college application.

"Kai was looking for you today by the way."

What?

"What?" I tried not to sound too interested.

"Yeah I don't know why. You were at the cafe but I just told him I didn't know where you were so you're welcome!"

I gave her a weak smile and said, "Thanks."

I don't think Maddy is ever going to get over her hatred for Kai. It runs deep, deeper than what she let on.

"Ok I'm going to go take a shower and try to get my life back together."

I felt like I needed to ask Kai what happened between him and Maddy. Even though Madds already told me, I really wanted to hear the other side of the story.

Coincidentally, he called.

"Princess! Pizza or McDonalds?"

"Aahh... Pizza?" I answered, a little confused about his question.

I would choose McDonalds in a heartbeat but I knew how much Kai loved pizza.

"I told you! We're ordering pizza!" He told someone, "sorry princess, Jay and I are just trying to decide what to get for dinner tonight."