Chapter 6: A Dead End

"So now we have three suspects!" One student exclaims excitedly.

"Yes! Mr. Gallus, Mr. Nightjar, and Miss June Sparrow." Another chimes.

I smile at their observations, and Peter simply nods.

"But, the question is..." One starts.

"Who's done it?!" The rest all shout. "Pipe down, young sirs. Detective Raven has gotten the the good part." Miss Swift scolds. "Continue, please." She says to me.

I nod, continuing.

***

I sigh, as a knock sounds at the door. I close my book and sit there for a second till another knock sounds. I get up and answer it to find Crow.

"Mike, didn't I give you a set of keys?" I question.

"You did, but I find it rude to just walk in. Also, I have some important news." He explains.

"Which is?" I question.

"Mr. Gallus has passed. His wife is waiting to explain at the station." He answers, grabbing my coat off the rack and dragging me out of the building.

My eyes widen a bit at the news. "But, how?" I ask, taking my coat and putting it back on, as Crow locks up my house for me.

"That's why we're going to the station." Crow states.

We make our way to the station quickly, entering and heading back to the interrogation room. In there waits an old woman, sniffling and dabbing at her eyes with a handkerchief. She looks up, as we enter and sit across from her.

"Hello, Mrs. Gallus." Crow greets gently.

She sniffles. "Morning..."

"Can you explain please, and then you can be on your way?" My friend asks.

"Yes." She nods, sniffling a bit more. "He- He had a heart attack. HE was quite prone to having them. He'd survived so many... I guess, I just wasn't expecting this." She explains, taking a deep breath. "I was so worried about him always pushing himself. He was weaker than he looked. And, shaky." She shakes her head. "Never knew when to ask for help, so I had to go request help for him."

Crow nods in understanding. "Thank you, Ma'am. That's all we need. If the police have already questioned you, then you may go. You have our deepest condolences."

I nod. We get up, and Crow holds the door open for the woman to let her go. We take our leave.

"Well, there goes one suspect..." Crow sighs.

"I wouldn't fret over it too much. If he was weak, then I doubt he could have hit Miss Jane as much as she was." I explain. "So, I highly doubt he was our killer."

Crow nods.

"Now then, did you eat breakfast?" I ask.

He nods confused.

"Good, then let us pay Mr. Nightjar a visit." I say, walking in the direction of townhall.

"W-wait a second! Mr. Raven, did you eat?!" Crow shouts after me, following quickly. "Mr. Raven?!" He shouts, but I guiltily ignore.

We enter, looking around the area.

"Can I help you?" A young voice asks.

We turn to see a young woman, carrying files in one arm while adjusting her large, round glasses with her free hand. A pair of bright orange eyes sit behind the glasses, standing out through the woman's dark, black bangs that hang down in her face. A large owl feather sits behind her ear, the end tipped black as if dipped in ink.

"Oh, yes Miss... Uh..." Crow starts.

"Miss Jenny Strigidae." She replies with a smile. "How may I assist?"

"I'm Mr. Crow, and this is Detective Raven. It's nice to meet you, Miss Strigidae. We need to have a few words with a Mr. William Nightjar. Do you perhaps know where he is?" Crow asks politely.

"Oh, yes. I work with him, filing papers in whatnot. Follow me." She replies, leading us to a room filled with papers and wood file cabinets. "William, some folks to see you."

The man looks up from his work to see us. He sighs, putting down his quill. Miss Stritidea goes to her desk, starting her work and seeming to zone out as if we're not here.

"Hello again, Sir." Crow greets as we move to stand in front of William's desk.

"Again?" I question, raising an eyebrow.

"Yes, he's the one I sent to fetch the police." Crow explains.

"Funny," I look from Crow to William. "That's not what he told me. Care to explain?"

He sighs, leaning back in his seat. "There's no night police."

"Yeah, I noticed." I comment.

He continues, "I was the one your friend sent. I was walking by when he popped outside and told me to get the police."

I nod. "And, you entered with them, because you're a regular?"

He nods.

"Then why make an excuse?" I ask.

"I didn't want to seem suspicious." He answers.

"Well, it's too late for that. Your prints were found on the murder weapon." I reveal.

His eyes widen slightly in surprise. "Wait, how?" He questions.

"I was hoping you could tell us." I say, though already knowing it to possibly be from him working at Gallus Farm.

"Well, what was the murder weapon?" He asks.

I raise an eyebrow. "A sickle."

He looks down at his desk in thought. "From- From Gallus Farm?" He asks, looking back up at Me.

I nod.

"Then it was because I helped out there for a while. Mrs. Gallus requested help." He explains.

I nod again. "Now, let's talk about your relationship with the sisters."

"I told you, there isn't any." He argues.

"Really, because we heard that you go into the bakery literally every day. Now, either you really like baked goods, or you have relations." I accuse. "Which, judging on how your heart dropped when you heard Miss Jane was dead, I'm pretty sure it's the latter."

William seems to stiffen, frowning. "Fine." He gives in. "I loved Miss Jane, and she returned those feelings. It was only natural that I visit."

"Then why was Miss June clinging to you?" I question.

"I- I don't know. I really don't. She started being clingy ever since I told Jane my feelings. I never figured out why." He explains.

"So, you didn't kill Miss Jane Sparrow?" I ask bluntly.

"No!" He stands, outraged at the question. "I loved that woman!" He yells, glaring at me. "I still love her, and I would do anything to get her back! I didn't kill her! Why would I?!" He defends.

I smile pleased with the reaction. "You didn't."

"Of course I didn't!" He yells.

"No, whoever did this faced their victim at least once. So, someone who's in love with her could never face them while killing them without crumbling soon after." I explain. "Come, Mike. That's all I needed to ask."

Crow follows after me, rather confused. We exit the building, stopping to stand outside. I run a hand through my hair in frustration. Now what? With Mr. Gallus dead and William obviously innocent. We've hit a dead end. My friend takes in my frustrated face.

"Why don't we go back home for lunch?" He asks. "Then you can think things over."

I nod, and we start on our way.