Twenty One: Baby..

"We're having a boy," I told Lauren as she was getting out of the shower. It was the day that we go to find out the gender, and I wanted to tell her what we were having so she would be surprised that I knew. 

"How do you know?" she questioned as she was putting on her ear rings.

I shrugged, "I'm a great guesser," I smiled at her as she chuckled.

"We'll see," she looked in the mirror as she was trying to put her ear ring in.

"You want to make a bet?" I asked as I watched her.

Her eyes landed on me through the mirror. "Sure," she turned around to look at me. "What do you bet?"

I smiled, "If it's a boy, you have to do whatever I say for a week," I smiled at her as she was staring at me. 

She nodded, "And if it's not, and it's a girl, then you have to do whatever I say for a month," I opened my mouth and she chuckled.

"Wait. Hold on. I said a week, why do you get a month?" she shrugged and I stared at her. "That's not fair,"

She chuckled, "Afraid you're going to lose?" she questioned.

I shook my head, "No," I was confident. There was no doubt in my mind.

She rolled her eyes and turned around to look in the mirror. After a moment of watching her struggle with her ear rings, she finally got them in and she applied some make up. I groaned as I watched her because it made no sense putting on make up to go check on our baby.

We finally left after she was done. She didn't let me drive and it wasn't a surprise to me because she never lets me drive anyways. We talked on the way there and it felt great to have conversations with her because that's what we needed in this marriage.

We pulled up and I knew she was nervous about it. I smiled at her as we were walking in. "It's going to be ok," I reassured her. She smiled at me and I sat down as she talked to the lady behind the desk.

I waited until she got back and I was flipping through the magazines as we waited until the lady came out to get us. After a few minutes of looking through almost all the magazines, a woman came out and got us.

I followed Lauren down a hall and to a room where she changed into her gown behind the curtains. I waited until she was done and we walked down the hall and into a room.

I stood beside her as I watched the lady rub jelly on her stomach and she looked at the monitor. I smiled down at Lauren as I could already see her eyes on the monitor.

The lady smiled at us as she pointed to something on the monitor. I grabbed Lauren's hand as I waited for her to tell us the gender. "Well, congrats," she smiled at us. "It looks like you're going to have a," she paused and looked at us.

"A baby girl," 

My heart stopped and I heard Lauren, "Oh my God," I looked down at her as she smiled up at me. "We're having a girl," she squealed out and I stared at the monitor.

I didn't believe what I just heard. A girl? But..

"Babe," I looked at Lauren as she was smiling at me. "I won," she chuckled.

I chuckled a little as I stared at the monitor, clearly confused. The woman pointed out all the parts and smiled at us as she was talking. I drowned out what she was saying because I was too shocked to say anything.

After the ultrasound, we were driving back home and I was sitting in the passenager seat trying to figure everything out. It didn't make any sense that we weren't having a boy when clearly I thought we were because of what happened.