VI. THE SIGN OF THREE

"THIS IS RATHER beautiful, I guess." Sheepishly, Elizabeth Dallon tipped her head and eyed the cobbled pavement beneath them. The venue was hugged by vines that spiralled beyond the brick and paint on top of it, up and out from the building it framed. Doors and windowpanes outlined with matching white and maximised for light that filled the space inside to make it magical even on rainy days. Today had not been one of those days, and therefore no extra additions were needed; the sun was shinning, the guests smiling and Elizabeth had fallen in step at Mrs Hudson's side from the moment she arrived. The wedding had passed as expected: a church, music, the dress, the vows, endless sniffling from the seats around her, and a baby howling somewhere over her left shoulder that everyone visually tried to ignore. It was nice, it was normal, and all about Mary and John - just like it should've been. Elizabeth took a deep breath, and exhaled happily from the day's effortless, undisturbed routine.

"Absolutely wonderful." Mrs Hudson fiddled with the white handkerchief intertwined with her ageing fingers, plucking it from one hand and dabbing beneath her watery eyes once more. Elizabeth watched her for a passing moment - there was nothing to cry about, joyful nor solemn, and her nose crinkled a little, as if trying to force the same emotion out of her own face. She couldn't do it, but she tried again when no one was looking. "How beautiful - doesn't she look beautiful?" Mrs Hudson looked at Elizabeth with a sloppy smile that creased the pink shine of her lipstick and she laughed by throwing her head back, the white hat on her head adjusting with the impact.

"Amazing." Elizabeth muttered, not entirely at Mrs Hudson and not really for herself. It slipped out in a breath as they queued like the other guests to enter the venue, each being greeted in turn by the newly-wedded couple.

"Elizabeth!" John shouted, and from what followed the sound, louder than he intended. The man rocked on his heels and seemed to swallow any noise that might follow, darting his eyes briefly to those close by. Thankfully, Mrs Hudson had been the only one who could've heard, and she just chuckled and turned to Mary Morstan - Mary Watson - and continued to gush her fondness for the event. "You came!" He half- whispered, trying to regain from his outburst, while also acknowledging her arrival as if it was their own, exciting secret.

"Of course I did," Elizabeth smiled, her eyes fixated with his polished shoes, "of course I did." She looked up, the smile moving from her lips into her eyes, and John could feel her problems melting away like they'd never happened in the first place. Any concern he may have felt for her on this day evaporated from Elizabeth's superb exterior, and he grinned at her as his breath got stuck in his throat from the sudden change of his emotions.

"I-" his voice halted and he shook his head, obviously unable to word what he wanted to say. Elizabeth knew that response immediately, as she'd seen it on many occasions, both good and bad. So she laughed in to his shoulder when he took her in to a short, but sturdy embrace.

"Congratulations, John." Her voice was like honey: soft, sweet, and pouring through the air between them. Her hands remained on the material of his blazer for a second more, and he patted her covered shoulderblades a few times with a thankful nod. Elizabeth took some air, pulled her eyes away, and turned to an ecstatic Mary Watson on her wedding day. "You look stunning, Mary. You look wonderful." Mary smiled at her with gratitude and a slight red tint to her cheeks, waving a hand in the air. Elizabeth laughed, "Truly, and this place is beautiful too. Congratulations." Though the words felt slightly forced, they lifted her appreciation more with each syllable. The wedding was suddenly superior to what it had been a minute ago, and Elizabeth couldn't help but radiate her happiness to the married couple, grinning with her teeth exposed. She shook Mary's hand vigorously and hugged her quick, apologising to the stranger behind her and scurrying inside, hoping to catch sight of Mrs Hudson before people noticed she was hovering.