Black~3

Chapter 3

Hogwarts is much, much bigger than I thought. First of all, it's huge. It has towers and battlements. The entire facility has to be at least seven stories tall. Gargoyles guard the entrances, sitting upon tall pillars. An enchanted forest surrounds the open space around the castle. To the south, a lake sparkles under the moonlight.  A cabin is settled on the edge of the forest. A pumpkin patch is behind that. By the plentia of greenhouses are vegetable gardens, where cabbage grows. A willow tree is rooted in the middle of the school grounds. A field with rings sitting on tall poles caught my eye. Booths where students  could sit  surrounded the field, with drapes showing each house decorated on them.

"Come this way!" Hagrid said, walking us up to the entrance. I wheeled my luggage past the gate with a groan. Why had I packed so much stuff?

"To you're right is the Great Hall, where the Welcoming Feast is being held. It is also where new students will be sorted into their houses. You all can set your belongings over here and can walk into the hall. New students should gather around me when they are finished with their belongings." We all did as he said. Malfoy and them all went inside the Great Hall, and all the new students, including myself, gathered around Hagrid. "Before the feast can begin," He began, rubbing his scruffy beard, "You all are going to be sorted into your houses. The four houses you may be sorted into are Griffendor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw. A hat will be placed on your head and don't be afraid when it begins to speak. Now, lets go before Dumbledore gets mad because we're holding up his dinner!" We all chuckled at his light humor and walked inside.

The hall was lit by thousands and thousands of candles that were floating in midair over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting. Hagrid led the first years up here, so that they came to a halt in a line facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. The hundreds of faces staring at them looked like pale lanterns in the flickering candlelight. Dotted here and there and among the students, the ghosts shone misty silver. Mainly to avoid all the staring eyes, I looked upward and saw a velvety black ceiling dotted with stars. I heard someone whisper, "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts a History" It was hard to believe there was a ceiling there at all, and that the Great Hall didn't simply open on to the heavens.

"Students!" An old woman with glasses that sit on the tip of her nose stood at the front of the room next to a chair and an old, grey, pointed hat. The woman's grey hair was hidden beneath a black wizard's hat. Her long, black robes covered her small body. Her piercing green eyes gazed upon me and her thin lips twitched. She returned her gaze back to the wizards and said, "We will now begin the Sorting. When I call your name, sit in this chair. I will then place the sorting hat on your head."

"Professor McGonagall sure is old." A boy wizard whispered to his friend. I rolled my eyes. How immature. "Gabrielle Anderson." A young girl with frizzy brown hair and chunky glass sat in the chair. McGonagall placed the hat on her head and the girl stirred awkwardly.

"Hmmmm..." The girl shrieked as the hat began to talk. "Surprised? Ha! I know just where to put you...." There was a brief moment of silence. "Hugglepuff!" A load cheer came from the Hugglepuff table. The girl beamed with pride as she walked over to the table.

Professor Mcgonagall went through the A's and a few B's and the next thing I knew I heard my name being said. "Lysander Black." I gulped and made my way to the chair. My heart was pounding as I sat down. The old woman placed the smelly old hat upon my head and I stayed still. What's it going to say?

"Hmmm...You have a guilty conscious boy. Brave, courageous, but sly and cunning. You're a tough one...Where to put you...where to put you..." The hat muttered. I gulped and played with my fingers as I waited for what seemed like forever. "You have ambition, leadership skills, extreme intelligence, however, you follow the rules. You are a caring, daring, courageous individual. I will have to base the decision on your past actions..." There was a long silence. "Slytherin!" The Slytherin table cheered very loudly and I grinned from ear to ear as I ran up to the table and sat down next to Malfoy. He was beaming at me. "We almost lost you to those mutts! Thank god we didn't!"