chapter 7

Kareem

I was laying in my bed reading a book I had checked out from the library the day previously. When I heard a loud thump then scream. bolting up from my bed I ran out of my room to Yaqoob's room where I heard the scream come from.

The light from the hallways filer in when I opened the door letting me see Rabia on the floor crying Hesterly. Rushing to her sides I sat in front of her placing my hands on her shoulders.

"What's wrong? Are you ok? Are you hurt?" panic filled me as I began to check her. looking at her left knee that was spread out to the side. Then move my eyes to her right forearm.

She stopped me from my search when her voice barely above a whisper said "I count see"

"What? What do you mean you couldn't see?" by this time My dad and Sarah was outside her door now looking extremely worried.

"What's wrong with her?" asked Sarah walking slowly to Rabia as to not scare her more or hurt her, I'm not sure which. she knelt down beside her grabbing Rabias hands that were trying to hold up her upper body. Sarah moved her hands form Rabia's to Grab her arm to help her sit on her bed. See them struggle I grabbed Raibais another arm lightly to help to get up. thanking us for her raspy voice, she then repeated what she said to me. Sarah ones again placed her handovers Rabia's to comfort her.

"Can you see now?" Sarah asked.

"yes, a little" Rabia said as she looked around. "I can't see where the desk should be."

My dad turned on the lights. "Can you see now?" he asked. She nodded her head confusion crossing her face.

"All of a sudden you count see?" my father asked stepping into the room.

Rabia breathing is still uneven as she said "I guess I was wrong, I didn't mean to worry everyone"

I walked to the light switch "do you mind if I close the door real quick?" I asked my dad so he would either step into the room fully or step out. Nodding he moved fully into the room. Once the door was closed I turned off the lights.

The room was once again plunged into darkness. Only the window let light shined throw. Lighting the room a little. I could see Rabia grabbed Sarah's hand tighter. "I cant see again," Rabia said sounded scared. I turned on the light again before opening the door.

"I'm guessing you didn't have night blindness before have you?" I asked her. Both Rabia and Sarah looked up at me. Understanding crossed my father's faces.

"You think Rabia has night blindness," Sarah asked looking back at Rabia to check her eyes. "I'm pretty sure that's what it is," I said as I moved to stand my father. "I temporarily had night blindness as a kid but it's easy to overcome. You need a lot of vitamins A" I stated.

Rabia let out a shaky breath. "I need to talk to Eli about this"

"Eli? who is Eli?" I asked

"Eli is my doctor he's been treating scenes the" Rabia's voice cracked. "Fire" instead of bowing her head like I expected she left it up and moved her shoulders back.

"You call him by his first name?" the question slipped out before I could stop myself.

"Ok, that's enough. what's up with all your questions." Sarah glared at me before her eyes soften when she looked back at Rabia.

"Rabia do you want us to leave you alone or do you want me to stay here with you?"

Rabia turned her head to Sarah. The light speakers off her cheeks. Making me notice the tracks the tires left on her cheeks as well as her swollen eyes.