chapter 8

Rabia

I wake up to sharp pains from my arm and knee. Panic bubbled up my throat. As I remember the smoke. Slowly my dream faded away. Replaced with another though.

'School! I need to get ready'. Before I could get up the pain hit me again. almost scared to move in fear that another pain will hit me I laid in bed still for another few minutes. Once I felt like it won't hurt I Reaching over to my bedside table I grabbed my new phone to check the time 9:32. School started at 7:45.

Signing I trying to gain enough energies to get up. I felt rude for not waking up earlier to helped Aunt Sarah with whatever she does in the morning but last night was hard on me. I spent most of the time praying for my dad and mom which made me cry more. Than my newfound disability. I let my thoughts trail off not wanting to have a repeat of last night.

Plus how comfortable this bed is It doesn't help get me up faster. After about 5 minutes of stalling, I got up and walked well more like walled to the closet so I could change into something presentable.

The clothes Aunt Sarah bought me was a little small then what I normally wear. I'm not really comfortable with my body so I tried to hide it when I could. After running through the closet I found a plain white long sleeve shirt and some sweatpants. I prayed that I wouldn't have to go out today. I don't know if I could wear anything other than sweatpants for the next few days thanks to the buddy rap around my knee. I thought as I shimmy into the clothes.

Throwing a scarf over my head lightly so I was covered. I tried to dash to the bathroom but instead, I looked more like a mad penguin going down the hall.

pulling off the scarf inside the bathroom and looked at my self in the mirror. The night was definitely hard for me. Scratch that the last few days have been hard for me. My face was swollen from last night. But on the bright side, my skin color was back. I no longer had a sickly look to me. But I did still have really dark circles under my eyes. I could have passed for a panda if I was lighter toned than the caramel color I was. The thought of caramel made my tummy growled.

I began my morning regimen. First throwing water onto my face followed by face wash then I brush my teeth and end it with rinsing off the face wash.

I normally don't wash my face cause I'm too lazy but I've been trying to make it a habit because my mom keeps telling me I need to take care of my face. At that thought, a ping stabbed my heart.

Shaking my head I Brushing my hair back so I could put it in a messy bun. When I was done this time I did my hijab properly and walked out.

Making my way down the stairs was a struggle. By the time I hit the first landing I was not only winded but also begin to sweat. 'Ok 8 steps to go you can do this!' before I could continue Aunt Sarah was yelling for me to wait as running up to me.

"As-salaam-alaikum" I greeted Aunt Sarah with a big smile. Her honey brown hair was swept over her shoulder. This was the first time I saw her uncovered.

"Wa-Alaikum-Salaam sweety, how are you feeling?" she asked as she guided my arm over her shoulders as she wrapped her arm around my waist. Will the places normal people would have a waist thanks to my body shape I don't have one.

"I'm feeling better kinda. I'm sorry for not getting up earlier to help you make breakfast." stumbling with my weight Aunt Sarah missed a step making the pain come back with a vengeance "sorry honey" Aunt Sarah said worriedly.

As we walked down the last few steps Aunt Sarah was constraining really hard on my feet to the stair then my face and back to my feet. Once we were safely down the stairs and moving to the living room. looking around I noticed that the house looked empty before I could ask where is everyone was Aunt Sarah brake the silence