Chapter 8

Edited

The days pass by, granted, slowly. I haven't spoken to Derrin-keeping my end of the bargain. But I have continued to work hard. After all-this is me you're talking about.
I excel in everything. Without even trying. I know I sound cocky, but to be honest-I'm ok with that.

Briss doesn't really notice though. She's to caught up with....Derrin. She talks about him constantly. I think she likes rubbing it in my face. They meet at night-like we used to. Every time she talks, flares of anger and jealously courses through me. I'm not a jealous person. Usually. But this is the only way to protect him. I have to remember that. What other choice do I have? Every night, I lie awake, just thinking.
So it's not a surprise to me when I discover Kaone silently opening the door, late one night. She slips out, leaving the door open a just a tiny crack. I know the right thing to do. But I take the other option and slide out of bed.

I sneak through the halls, following Kaone stealthily. She slips into a room, in a deserted corridor. I peer through the crack of the door, watching. A boy is in there. He smiles dreamily at her and takes her hand.

I've seen enough. More then enough really. I turn to go back to my room. I won't tell on Kaone. Not like Briss did. I don't want to be chosen by cheating.
I'd rather die. I'm not a cheater, and I don't betray people-even those who I dislike.

I'm so caught up in my on thoughts, that I don't see the person in front of me. We collide-both of us sprawling to the floor.
I groan and rub the back of my head wincing. I stand up slowly, and offer a hand to the person I knocked over

"I'm sorry, I just-" I start. Then I look up.

"Lynx! What are you doing? Why didn't you come? What's going on?" Derrin hisses, his eyes flaring.

Oh. It's him.

I lower my eyes and try to walk past him, but he grabs my wrist.

"Let go of me Derrin!" I growl. He narrows his eyes, scrutinizing my face intently.

"Lynx! Please just talk to me!" He whispers, begging me.

I hate this. I hate Briss for making me shut out my friend.

"I'm sorry Derrin!" I plead. His leaf green eyes are full of confusion and hurt as I wrench my arm out of his grasp and flee.

Kaone sneaks back into the room hours after I do. Her blonde hair is down, and she's blushing furiously. I stand up silently, and grab her arm.

"W-" She starts to protest, but I clamp my hand over her mouth tightly, and drag her out of our room.
We're crammed in a closet with door shut firmly behind us before I let go of Kaone. She glares at me fiercely.

"What are you doing!" She snarls.
Good point. What am I doing? Why am I saving her butt?
Oh-maybe it's cause I'm a nice person!
I scowl.

"Saving you. Look, I know about the boy." I whisper. She visibly pales, as the blood drains from her face.

"Lynx..." She murmurs, quiet for the first time since I've met her. But I shush her and continue speaking.

"I won't tell on you. I don't care if you kiss a servant. I could care less. But you need to be more careful! If Briss finds out then it will be over. She'll blackmail you. She.....she isn't who she seems. I whisper hurriedly. I need to tell her-I need a ally.

Her grey eyes widen.

"But Briss...how?" She asks, he bottom lip quivering. I bite my lip and shake my head furiously.

"Please Kaone! The chosen one has to be one of us. It can't be Briss. She'll tear Faiyria apart! She's sneaky and dangerous. Promise me you won't trust her. I don't care what you do, but please-please don't trust Briss!" I beg. She nods speechlessly. I look around cautiously, then I leave her, dissolving into the shadows.

This just got really real.

The next morning, Kaone looks at me with a new respect. Good. I deserve respect. But I don't just want respect. I want a real friend. A girl that I can laugh with, share secrets with, and get in trouble with. One that will always have my back. I've heard the story's about the girls that are best friends. Sisters even. They stay up late, and talk about boys. They always stand up for each other. I've never really had a real friend. I am just me. Nobody really wants to be friends with the bread thief. You can't trust anybody on the streets. Maybe Kaone and I could be friends. Maybe not-but maybe someday.

Oh right-one of us is going to die in a few weeks. That makes for a real strong friendship right!

I brush my blonde hair out, and throw on a red tunic and black leggings. Today I'm not in the mood for sucking up to Gai's demands. I'm never in that mood, but particularly not today.
Absentmindedly, I reach up to twirl the silver chain that's always hanging around my neck. I've had it since I was a baby. I've never taken it off. A tiny metal flame swings from the chain as a pendant. It means hope. Gai hates it. He says real ladies do not wear fire. But I refuse to take it off. It's all I have. The only thing that reminds me who I really am.
It means more to me them the world.
I reach for the pendant, only to find that it's not there. It's always there! I never take it off! I instantly know that Gai took it. Or had a servant take it. Or something! But he has it! I know he does! How dare he! That slick little snake!
I throw down the comb in anger and furiously storm out of the room.

I'm going to kill him.

I find Gai in his study.

"Lynx-what are you wearing?" He says. I give him a look saying 'don't mess with me' , but I don't think he gets it.

Maybe he's just too stupid to get it.

"Cut the crap. Where is my pendant?" I scowl. His pleased expression turns stony.

"You must of misplaced it." He says cooly. He looks me directly in the eyes, staring at me with fire in his eyes.

"I know a liar when I see one! You are a big, fat liar Gai! Now give me my darn pendant!" I scream, slamming my hands down on the desk with a bang.
Gai gives me a patronizing look, making me even more furious (if that's even possible).

"I'm sorry. Now go get ready. You've got a big day." He says firmly-clearly stating that this conversation is over. I try to protest, but he stands up, towering over my smaller frame. He gesture for me to leave.
I stalk wordlessly from the room.

When late that afternoon I hear the angry stream of cuss words from Gai's mouth, I know who he is cursing. I pretend like nothing's wrong-I'm just a innocent girl.

But egotistical men should never underestimate a thief.
Especially me.
Gai meets my eyes, and shakes his head, balling his fists as he marches toward me.

"Where is it!?" He screams in my face-spittle flying everywhere. I wipe some from my eyes, and glare up at him. I don't like when people spit in my eyes.

"Where is what?" I ask calmly. His face is tomato red. It's kinda funny.

"The stupid pendant!" He hisses. I look at him patronizingly, mocking his expression from earlier.

"You must of misplaced it." I say-stony cold. Cool as ice.

This sets him off.

"Take her to the dungeon!!!! I want that pendant! Do whatever it takes!" He yells at his big burly attendants, who stand right next to him, glaring at me angrily.

"No," I whisper. Then louder,

"No!!!" I scream.

The men grab me under the armpits and drag me away, literally kicking and screaming.