It's a F'd Up World

(Taylor’s POV)

A yawn escapes my lips as I look up flights on my computer. I’ve never been tech savvy, okay that’s an understatement. I barely know how to work this metal contraption but booking flights, I can do that. The bright screen illuminates my living room providing the only light at this time of the night. It’s a Wednesday and checking the time, it’s almost three in the morning. Lily’s birthday is this Saturday and I have a big surprise for her. I figured she’s a senior and must be totally stressed about grades and getting in to colleges. My plan is to plan a trip to the beautiful island of St. Lucia. Believe it or not, I already asked Lily’s parents for permission and her father was ecstatic. Her mother, well you guys know how that goes.

I click on the flight options and opt for two first class seats on Jet Blue from JFK airport. I would get us a private jet but being that it’s only us, I’m not exactly in the mood to spend all that money. Besides, not that I don’t think Lily is awesome but we’ve only been exclusive for like a month now and I’d rather save the private jet for maybe a later date. A date when I know she won’t break up with me the next day after I spent thousands of dollars.

The total for the flights comes to $5,000 and I book it. I already called my travel agent and said she could book the rest. Now, all I have to do is tell Lily.

I lean against the brick building of Lily’s prestigious school, smoking a cigarette. Checking my watch, the time reads 2:45. The bell should be ringing… now. Students of all shapes and sizes flood the exits and no one even notices me. Thank god. My eyes scan the crowd of pubescent school kids. Finally, I spot my princess and grab her arm, pulling her back to my spot against the bricks. “Taylor!” she exclaims.

A smile stretches across my lips. Her excitement to see me makes my heart pound. I drop m cigarette and crush it with my heel. “I’ve got something for you,” I admit. Her eyebrow arches with suspicion. I reach to my back pocket and pull the plane ticket that’s been stashed there. I hold it above her head knowing she won’t be able to reach. She jumps and fails like expected. I laugh, “Nope, I want a kiss first.” She rolls her eyes but accepts my deal.

Smooth velvety lips meet mine making me sigh against her. A few calls from students can be heard from our PDA and it makes me feel like the high school girl I never was. I pull back and finally hand her the cardstock ticket. She is confused for a second and it makes me self-conscious. Maybe she doesn’t like that island. I scratch the beauty marks on my neck out of nervousness. Buying presents isn’t really my thing so, I understand if I bought the wrong thing. “I um, I hope this is okay. If you don’t want to go and want like jewelry instead I can return it,” I ramble.

Lily looks up in confusion. Her arms hook around my neck and she jumps up, wrapping her legs around my waist. She plants a firm kiss on my lips. “This is the best present ever Taylor, no I don’t want jewelry!” That makes me so relieved. I honestly thought she didn’t like the present at first. “When are we leaving?” she asks.

I open my mouth to answer but out of the corner of my eye, I see a pap snapping pictures. My fingers pinch Lily’s cute butt. “Get down babe, paps are here.” She nods and returns back to her feet. I hate when paps come, they always have to ruin my happiness. I take Lily’s hand in mine and pull her along. We end up walking up a couple blocks to her house. I’ve been here about four times total and every time it gets scarier.

“So we leave this Friday at 8 p.m. We come back on Wednesday so I hope it’s okay if you miss some school,” I say. We sit on Lily’s perfectly made bed which I’m sure the maid fixed this morning. In ways my family is similar to hers. Of course, mine doesn’t have nearly the amount of money as theirs but they are still well off. Lily’s mom wants her to be successful and go to college. My mom wanted me to win Oscars.