Chapter Fourteen

"WARMTH!" Rosalie cried when we finally made it back to my apartment later that night. We'd gone and got as much ice cream as she could eat, before we headed over to the ice rink, which was really just the Central Park pond after it was well frozen over.

"King!" I complained as soon as I flipped the switch and found the disaster that was my apartment.

"Oh, no! He knocked over Daryl again." Rosalie immediately went to pick up the snake plant that King managed to push over while we were out. "And John. He doesn't really like Hall and Oates, does he?" She grinned up at me right as Saber walked through the open front door behind us.

"Who doesn't like Hall and Oates?" he asked, and Rosalie fell into a fit of giggles, while I made a poor attempt to hide my embarrassment.

Rosalie motioned to the fallen potted plants, with their dirt spilled all over the carpet. "King, obviously." She started cleaning his messes up, while I put down the armful of bags she'd brought with her.

"You... name your... plants?" Saber's words were slow as he shrugged out of his coat and hung it on one of the loose hooks by the door where I usually kept King's leash and collar, when I could find them.

"Yep. I almost memorized all of them too. Except I always get some of the snake plants mixed up." I had about eight, so I could understand the confusion on her part.

"You have like thirty in here." Saber hadn't pointed out my houseplant obsession before, but I'd seen him staring at them when he'd come over in the past.

I shrugged absently. "Thirty-six, actually."

"I think it's cool. You know, she's had some of these since she was my age. That's crazy!" Rosalie's green eyes shined, and in that second I realized they were the same color as aloe juice.

Saber looked around my apartment and I thought I saw a newfound respect in his eyes. But maybe he just had to shit, I didn't really know the difference. "That is pretty cool."

"Yep. Ooh, hey, I heard about a new scary movie from one of my friends' older sisters. Have you heard of It Follows?" Rosalie chirped, right as King graced us all with his presence, making a beeline for her. "King! You're terrible, but I love you!" Normally, he hated kids, but they'd formed a tight bond.

"She sounds just like you," Saber mentioned with a smirk as I started pulling things out of the fridge so I could cook for everyone else for a change.

"So...? Have you heard of it?"

I grinned. "Check the movies." Rosalie groaned, but she did as she was told. She let King climb up to her shoulders before she moved over to the bookshelf I had filled with all the movies I liked.

"Awesome! Have you watched it yet?" She shot me a narrowed-eyed look, like I'd lie to her or something.

"Of course not. Now, get over here, Roro. What do you want in your calzone?" I'd already laid out all the ingredients, so she could make it herself.

Rosalie jumped up to sit at the counter with her back facing the living room, choosing whatever she wanted, while I assembled everything. I'd spent almost six hours the night before, prepping for the meal. I had to make sure it was perfect, so I didn't screw it all up.

She scrutinized everything I did, and once all twelve of the calzones I'd made were in the oven, she actually kinda looked impressed. Secretly, I took a picture of her with my phone. Someday she would stop looking at me like that, but at least I'd have something to remember it by.

"I'm gonna clean up, why don't you go get the movie ready?" I said once they'd gone into the oven and I set the timer.

Saber watched me with a smile on his face. "You deserve to go sit down and hang out with your sister. I can clean up," he offered. Even thinking about that felt weird to me, though.