Chapter Thirty-Three

MY buzzing phone crashing to the floor from my nightstand, was what woke me up bright and early the morning Saber, King, and I were supposed to head back to Briarwood. The New Year had come and gone, and I'd partied myself out enough to last me for at least a year or two. I'd even managed to sneak Rosalie out for a little while New Year's Day for some girl time.

"Hello?" I answered it just in time. Sliding out of bed, I slipped one of Saber's t-shirts over my head, while he slept soundly.

"Juliet? Is that you?" The voice sounded vaguely familiar, but I was tired and still not entirely awake yet.

"Yes. Who's this?" I also hadn't fully developed my filter for the day by that point.

Warm laughter crackled through the phone speakers, as I carefully tiptoed out of my room and downstairs to the kitchen. "Oh, right. This is Marcia. I'm sorry to call so early. I forget my head sometimes."

"It's fine. What's up?" I perked up immediately, when I heard that it was Marcia Pleasant on the phone. I really liked the lady, and her weird kids.

"Well... And I know this is going to sound silly, but is there any way you can come out and work for me again? I know you already have a job, but I could really use the help. I can't pay you much, but I can give you free room and board." Marcia barely took a breath the entire time she spoke.

I didn't really know what to say at first. "Uhm... I'd love to, but I'd have to figure out some things. Can I call you back later on and give you and actual answer?"

"Please do. I'm trying to get the boys to focus more on their schoolwork, and less on working for me. I don't want you to feel pressured or anything. I can find other potential employees. I just wanted to offer you the job first."

"Thank you. I'll call you later this evening."

"I really appreciate it, Juliet. Happy New Year." We talked for just a few more moments before we ended the call.

"Who was that?" I jumped at the sound of Saber's voice. I hadn't expected him to be up so soon and everyone else had already gone home, so we were the last ones in the house.

I shrugged, turning the kettle on to make a warm cup of tea. "A lady I met in the last couple weeks. She offered me a job."

Saber raised his eyebrows way up. "Where?" The surprise on his face had my heart beating frantically.

I couldn't meet his probing gaze. "Ashgrove. It's about six hours from Briarwood."

He let out a long, exasperated, sigh as he turned on the coffee pot. "You're planning on taking it?" Calmly, he sat down at the counter.

I shrugged again. The thought had definitely crossed my mind. But I also didn't want to jeopardize the relationship we were finally starting to build. "Probably not. I like my job."

"What kinds of things would you be doing?"

"I don't know. But the woman, Marcia, owns a funeral home and a cemetery. Someday, I'll take you out there. It's the prettiest place I've ever been. And her family is strange, but I like that."

The brightness in Saber's eyes seemed to dull after a few moments. "You want to go." It wasn't a question.

I shook my head. "It's just an idea. It probably won't actually happen." I tried to dismiss the whole conversation and change the subject, but it wasn't ten minutes later that Saber brought it back up, asking tons of questions I didn't know the answer to. He stopped after I started to get visibly annoyed.