Chapter Eighteen

PIERCE showed up bright and early Sunday morning. He didn't even knock, he just used the key I'd given him and walked right in.

I'd just woken up, so I was standing in the kitchen wearing one of my dad's old Avalanche t-shirts that reached my mid-thigh and the bun I'd put my hair into was hanging crookedly to the side, letting tons of stray strands fall into my face. When I saw that it was just Pierce, I made a beeline for the stove and put the kettle on before I turned to look at him.

"Hey, brotha. What's kickin'?" I asked, trying not to laugh when he groaned.

"You're the most embarrassing sister on the planet. What do you have to eat?" He took a seat at the kitchen counter, with his back facing the living room. I kinda hoped he wouldn't turn around and see Saber still passed out on the couch. He was going to leave the night before, but then we started playing video games again, and it got too late.

"I thought I was being tame. Huh. I think there's some food in the fridge." I started rummaging around, but I wasn't good at looking at a shelf full of random shit and figuring out a meal for it all, like Saber or my mom.

"Juliet. You're still supposed to be taking it easy," Saber scolded, and Pierce whipped around when he heard his voice.

"Oh. You guys do sleepovers now?" He didn't even bother hiding the judgement in his voice.

I laughed. "What is this? Victorian times? I can have sleepovers with whoever the hell I want. I'm an adult."

Pierce shot me a teasing grin as Saber rolled off the couch and picked up his shirt off the floor. "Yeah, but you two aren't having sex, so it's just weird."

I choked on my own spit, and I felt flushed all over. "How the hell do you know that?"

"Because I'm sleeping on the couch," Saber answered for him. I felt the mortification throughout my entire body. "Can we stop embarrassing your sister now?" He grinned at me, and I wanted to hide.

"Yeah, I guess so. What do you guys do, anyway? I mean, since you don't do it?"

I laughed again. "He spent the weekend because his family invaded his house." It was the best excuse I could come up with on such short notice.

"So it had nothing to do with the stitches on your head or in your neck? I can be oblivious sometimes, but I'm not stupid. What happened?"

Saber came up behind me and his hand brushed against the bare skin on my arms, giving me goosebumps. "She was driving through the storm on Friday night and another car hit her." He told Pierce the truth before I could come up with another lie.

"Shit. Are you okay, Jules?" He didn't sound annoyed that I hadn't told him until then, just a little concerned.

"I'm fine. A mild concussion. But nothing to worry about." Pierce didn't exactly look convinced. He kept glancing over at Saber like he'd actually tell him what was going on.

Saber sighed. "She's downplaying somewhat."

"She always does. You know, she once walked on a broken foot for three days before she let my mom take her to see a doctor." Pierce kinda sounded like he was tattling on me.

"Why do you gotta be such a snitch? Besides, you know I hate Dr. Ruth. She smells like mothballs and she always makes me take off my pants." I shuddered at the thought of the ancient lady.

"You're a special kind of strange, Jules." Pierce's eyes sparkled, though, and he didn't even complain when I made him a cup of tea instead of coffee. He even thanked me. "Anyway, are you curious why I'm here?"