The New Couple

Chapter 8

Every morning, Brandon left me alone in his bed and went to speak to his parents about my father, the Wretched. How did I know this? He makes the bed shift whenever he gets up, plus I'm a very light sleeper. But when he does get up, I pretend that I'm sleeping.

One morning I was awoken by a hoarse voice coming from the corner of the room. I sat up quickly with my hair a mess. I was pretty exhausted, because I still haven't caught up on the sleep that I've missed.

"I am able to talk." The same voice that woke me up said. I looked over and saw and my "father" standing in the corner with a look full of sorrow.

"How come you wouldn't speak before?" I asked.

He walked over go me and said, "Beverly, you are communicating with the dark side. You can communicate with every dead demon right now, which includes me. I am destined to be your protector."

"What do you mean I can communicate with every dead demon?" Once he finished, he sat down beside me.

"Beverly, I left you and your mother because I didn't want you to live the horrible life that I did. I am a descendant of a demon. Luckily, I created only half of you, so you don't have the full demon powers, but you have some. One of the which is communicating with the dead demons. You may develop some more over time, but for now this is the only one."

"So, you didn't leave us because you didn't want us, but to protect us?"

"Yes. I loved your mother. She was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. She was caring, funny, and delicate, pretty much everything good. But she was too good for me. So good that if I brought her back to home to the demons, they would kill her. Just for being good."

"Did you always look like this?" I asked.

"No. I can change to my natural form if I want to." He said. "Here, let me show you." He said as he stood up and spread his arms. He spread his fingers out as well, and formed into a man with black hair that was thinning and turning grey, and was was wearing a grey suit. He had eyes that were a baby blue like mine, and his skin was pale and clear.

"When did you...you know?" I asked, slightly uncomfortable.

"When did I meet your mother? How old I was?"

"Yeah," I responded, avoiding his gaze.

"I was in grade 11, and age sixteen. Your mother was in grade nine."

"So what about this evil stuff?" I asked.

Out of no where, a worried expression took over his sad one. "I must hurry, because they will be back. Beverly, you must warn this pack. There is a strong force of evil coming. Something that can wipe out the whole world. You, however, are able to stop it."

"Wait, " I said cautiously, "What is the evil?" I asked.

"I must go, darling." He said as he changed back. He gave me a short nod, then vanished into thin air.

"Were you just talking to yourself?" Brandon asked. I jumped, seeing that he came in without me knowing.

"Geez, are you trying to restart my heart?" I asked, clutching my chest.

"No. Who were you talking to?" He asked, looking at me like I was crazy.

"I was talking to my dad, or the Wretched thing. He said that there is something coming. Something that can wipe out humanity."

"Beverly," he chuckled, "Now you're just being silly." He walked past me and replaced his old shirt with a new one.

"Brandon I am not being silly. I am being completely honest. He would tell you the same thing if you could see him."