Chapter 35

I know that I don't normally include the songs I listen to while writing these chapters, but I figured that I would this time! Comment if you think I should do it normally, & I hope you enjoy the chapter. (:

Songs for this chapter are:

You and I- One Direction

Give Me Love- Ed Sheeran

Almost is Never Enough- Ariana Grande

_______________

Chapter 35

"Why is he staring at me?" Philip mumbles while keeping his eyes on the man across from us. I was standing up in the middle of the subway with one hand clinging to the handrail, the other holding on to Philip's tiny arm.

The man he was referring to was much skinnier than an adult should probably be, though no older than around 50. His eyes were barely opened, yet they were faced towards the little boy.

"Maybe he's asleep."

Philip's quiet for a moment. He squints at the man until he's had his full, then shrugs and plays on his video game.

I look around at the different people on the subway. Men and women bustle around in dress suits and Mary Janes with small glasses perched on their noses and large briefcases placed at their feet.

New York was given the reputation of an unfriendly place and at the moment, it was living up to it's name.

On this subway alone there was a man with a permanent scowl on his face, a woman screaming into her Bluetooth, and a creepy man staring at a child.

Yep, we were living the dream.

"Why didn't you forgive Uncle Zayn?"

"Huh?" I snap my head back towards the little boy who had conveniently spoken of the one person I was trying to get my mind off of.

"Uncle Zayn. He looked really sorry, but you didn't forgive him."

"Yeah," I start before the subway jolts and leaves me stumbling over the screaming woman's foot. She scowls at me even when I apologize, and then walks off of the train when it finally comes to a stop.

The amount of people decreases, and I am able to take a seat next to Philip.

"Our relationship is...complicated." I finally respond, watching my hands as they fumble with each other in my lap.

"Adults are weird." He comments, crinkling his nose the same way that Zayn does.

"You could say that." I half laugh. My phone vibrates in my pocket and I sigh when I notice the caller ID: Doniya.

It wasn't that I had anything against the woman. In fact, she was one of the very slim sane parts in my life. But again, she was just another person connected to Zayn. Another person to remind me that my life was starting to revolve only around his.

"Hello, Doniya. Look, I would love to talk to you but now is just not a good t-"

"Rylee, I need you to listen to me. This is important." She interrupts.

I look over at Philip who, despite all of the distractions around the subway including his game, found more interest in my conversation with his mother.

Wasn't this kid like four?

Yeah, four going on twenty.

"Okay, I'm listening."

"Now I don't want you to worry, but Tricia is in the hospital. She had a heart attack, and the doctors are currently treating her in the ER. John and I are in a cab on the way back, but I need you to find Zayn and make sure that he isn't doing anything irrational."