Chapter 37

Chapter 37

"You need to get something down your throat Ry, or you'll pass out."

"I'm fine." I insist, ignoring Derek's urge to get me to eat something. What was the point of eating anyway? I'd end up throwing it up nonetheless.

He sighs, keeping his deep brown eyes on mine as he sits down at the tiny circular table across from me.

Doniya and John were nowhere to be found, yet Keith however was perched in a chair at the opposite end of the room from us; one leg going a mile a minute as it bobbed at an anxious pace.

"You're beginning to scare me." Derek whispers.

I put my head in my hands. "I'm beginning to scare myself. Why did I say that to Zayn? It wasn't true. He has changed. He's changed so much, and I keep on making him feel like it was all for nothing."

"Then why did you tell him that?"

I say nothing as Derek silently bites into the chocolate-chip muffin he is eating.

"Maybe something's telling you that he hasn't changed as much as you thought?'

I shake my head. That was not the reason at all. I wasn't thinking when I told him that. I don't believe that. Every fiber in my body knows that he has become a different man since i've met him. He's become more caring about other people's feelings, or at least, to the best of his ability anyway. And I wouldn't change any other part of him.

Doniya walks in carrying a sleeping Phillip with John close to her side. She leans towards Keith to whisper something in his ear.

"How long has it been since Zayn stormed out?" I ask Derek who is focusing intently on his already half-eaten snack.

He looks down at his expensive looking watch that he must have bought when he actually had money.

It looked like a Motorola or something..

"Almost two hours."

I sigh. Derek had tried to console me, saying that he'd be back any second now since the minute that he left. But even his own voice was beginning to sound like mine-tired, and defeated.

I check my phone for the 30th time since he left but no messages or calls are shown on the tiny screen.

It was completely unlike Zayn for him not to call me by now. No matter how angry he was with me, he would always find it in him to tell me that he was fine and hadn't jumped off a cliff.

Maybe he doesn't care anymore, my annoying subconscious reminds me.

I wish I could push her off a cliff.

"Do you think he hates me?"

"I-" He begins, before Doniya walks over towards the two of us and suddenly cuts our conversation in half.

"We're starting a search party." She announces, looking between the two of us to assure that we are listening.

"For Zayn?' Derek does a poor job at attempting to withold his laughter while she speaks.

"Yes, for Zayn." Doniya's voice stays even despite her undeviating glare in his direction.

"I don't mean to be rude, but he's a grown man. I'm sure that he will be able to find his way back when he's ready."

"Well I think it's a good idea."

"You do?" Both Doniya and Derek ask simultaneously in utter surprise. Amusement potent on Derek's face.

"Yeah. I mean, this night can't really get any more stressful than it already is so why not?"

Their faces instanteneously turn to concern. I decide that it is in my best interest to ignore it since I wasnt really in the mood to have another one of Rylee's World Famous Pity Parties.