Proluge

Today was the day. I have been training for this meet for weeks. Its a good thing that ear infection had started to die down but it still hurts a bit. I bet it'll be fine if I cover my ears with my cap.

         "Girls 15 and over 100 yard Backstroke, Heat 5. Swimmers take your mark" beep.

        I start off the blocks, do my underwaters, then kick. I hear cheering in the stands as I go, I hear my teammates at the end of my lane cheering.

        Every stroke I take there is white water. I take my last stroke and dive for a fast finish. By the time I realize I went too deep its too late. The crystal clear water was quickly clouded by red as my ears popped. I quickly clawed my way out of the pool. I heard muffled voices as people screamed. Officials, swimmers, timers, and coaches surrounded me. They ripped off my cap and goggles and pressed towels to my ears. All of the parents had their phones out making calls. I found my parents being let on to the pool deck as my vision darkened. There was a screeched then another pop in my ears. There was no more screaming, no more sound, the silence was almost sickening as I slowly drifted off. Was this really happening? No. Only a dream. I would wake up and the sun would be beginning to rise. My mom would give me my bag and I would go to the swim meet. It felt so real. It felt too real.

My thoughts were cut off as everything went black.