Friendly Advice

Barry sat at his desk, staring blankly at the case he'd been working on for the past week.

The crime lab was eerily quiet and the traffic outside had begun to die down, signalling the end of evening rush hour.

With Julian gone, there wasn't the usual banter between former arch-rivals turned seasoned best mates...only silence.

The silence allowed Barry to be alone with his thoughts, something he'd grown fond of since he got back. Sometimes he thought about what a decent night sleep might feel like.

Other times he thought about how funny it would be to use his speed and run around the precinct, pulling everyone's pants down and reading the headline in the paper the next day.

As entertaining as The Flash being outed as a heinous prankster sounded, there was another thing the quietness of his surroundings allowed him to reflect on.

He tried his damn hardest to try and steer away from the subject but the thoughts and memories always found their way to the front of his brain...

Her...

Barry shook his head in frustration and swiped his arm, sending the paperwork for the case he was working on across the room.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

Barry was sitting at his desk again, his casework neatly stacked in front of him as Captain Singh entered the lab.

"Allen, you're still here? Good. At least someone is doing work around here!"

"Just finished actually. Is there anything I can help you with, Captain?" Barry was a little nervous.

Captain Singh rarely came up to the crime lab, it was like having the Principal come to your classroom and ask for you by name. It never happened unless you'd stepped out of line.

"There's a visitor here to see you, he says it's urgent."

"Who is it?" Barry was genuinely curious.

"The Mayor of Star City."

Barry straightened up in his chair as Oliver Queen entered the lab.

"That will be all, Captain. Me and Mr Allen have a lot to talk about."

Singh nodded, obviously unsure about the situation.

And with that, he was gone.

There was silence for a few moments, none of them eager enough to start the conversation.

A weird situation to happen between two best friends who'd saved the world together on more than one occasion.

Finally, Barry broke the silence...

"So...you here on business or..."

"If by business you mean looking out for a friend in need, then yes, yes I am."

Oliver's tone was a little serious but then again, Oliver was the most serious guy Barry knew.

Regardless of his tone, Barry knew what Oliver was getting at...

"Cisco told you, didn't he?"

"Actually, Joe told me."

"Joe?"

Barry hadn't seen Joe since...

Since he moved away with Cecile to live in Blue Valley, about a week after he came out of the Speed Force.

Barry didn't blame him.

He was handling his grief as best he could and as a bonus, he got to keep an eye on Wally which gave him some reassurance.