Naruto Uzumaki *Lila?*

(SIDE NOTE: It's pronounced lie-la. Like Lyla. But spelled Lila. Just to clear up any confusion. This also starts with when they're in the academy and there is a very brief mention of abuse for the reader. I swear it's extremely small.)

(SECOND SIDE NOTE: I know Lila is a feminine name but I still made this story gender neutral. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!)

It was a sunny, but windy day at the ninja academy. School had just let out and all the little runts were running around and hanging out, just talking to one another. Except for one yellow-haired boy who was sitting on a swing under a tree. Where he always sat. Naruto Uzumaki, with his goggles on his head and a frown plastered on his lips as he grumbled.

"Stupid... they're all stupid. What do they know anyway?" Naruto mumbled in irritation.

A single purple flower fell from the tree he sat under. Naruto looked at the flower that now laid at his feet. He raised an eyebrow curiously and picked it up.

"A lilac?" he asked himself. (This may not be culturally appropriate but I'm sorry. It ties into the story nicely in my opinion)

Naruto looked up, where high up in a tree sat you, shrouded by the leaves. Naruto squinted, unable to see anything up there and examined the flower. He kicked the dust at his feet and walked off, the flower still in his hand. You let out a gentle breath. The flower that sat perched in your hair had fallen when you leaned too far to get a better look at the boy. You, (Y/n), quickly fled from the tree to your home, where your father awaited you. You weren't allowed to leave the house without permission or supervision and weren't allowed to attend the academy. As you recalled the reasons why you were under strict supervision, your thoughts were interrupted.

"(Y/n)!" called a firm voice that belonged to your father.

Having just come through the window, you rushed downstairs where you were confronted by your father. He raised his voice to you, calling you names and telling you how he knew you'd snuck off. This argument only happened on occasions, however, the yelling was a reoccurring event. Ever since your mother became a member of the Anbu, your father would go on a rampage it seemed. Though he was careful to only hit you when he knew your mother would be gone long enough for the marks to disappear. Every day you stayed silent and went back to your room and on the next day, you'd return to watch Naruto from the tree. Except something changed. Now with every new day, you would reach the school before the dismissal bell and place a purple lilac on the seat of the swing. And every day Naruto would look around, confused, before picking up the flower and twiddling it between his fingers before leaving his swing minutes later. This happened every day, after school for months until his graduation from the academy. On the day of the graduation, you went out and got a whole bouquet of lilacs from the Yamanaka's flower shop. You placed the bouquet on the seat and instead of hiding in the tree, you merely stood behind it to get a good look at his face when he saw the surprise. The final bell rang and the graduates came running out of the academy. You saw Naruto celebrating with a few friends in the distance. People you knew in passing by their families that your father did business with. As the students started clearing out with their parents to celebrate, Naruto raced towards the swing. You kept hidden in the shadow cast by the tree and watched his face brighten more with a smile. The third Hokage was watching in approval and curiosity in the distance.

"Thank you, Lila," Naruto said with a soft smile.

'Lila?' you thought to yourself.

You stepped back to leave, but bumped into a solid figure, letting out a soft yelp. As you turned around, you were now facing Naruto. Your cheeks turned red as you lost your ability to speak at all. You glanced behind you, realizing the one you'd been watching was merely a clone. You ducked your head, your (h/l) (h/c) hair falling just enough to cover the black eye that still hadn't faded.