Two

The lunch hall was overly crowded as usual, buckets of noise surrounding us with the wide variety of people scattering the tables and chairs. A girl screamed in laughter and I cringed, grimacing at the noise. I fiddled with the lid of my coke bottle and looked up when I heard my name.

"Lexie!" Michael shouted my name.

"Michael!" I shouted back, causing muttered laughter from around us.

"I think a movie day is in order very soon, it seems like Lexie is getting bored of us." Michael teased with a smirk.

"Always day dreaming." Ashton commented.

"Hey!" I gasped, unable to hold in my muffled laughter.

It was true; I'm a day dreamer. I was almost on the course of believing that thoughts said more than words and it always seemed to be the smallest things which would distract me.

Talking of distractions, throughout lunch my gaze fixed on a couple lunch tables away from us which was deserted besides the one boy sat secluded. My lips curved down to a frown at the notice of Luke. His fingertips nervously shook even from this distance as he passed a pair of car keys between both his hands.

"I'm gonna go and talk to him." I spoke up in sudden courage and stood up from my chair.

The conversation about the plans for this weekend had immediately ended when they had took in recognition of who I was talking about. I noticed the wideness of eyes as I stepped back from my chair, hesitantly looking into Luke's direction.

Calum pried his fingertips around my wrist, gripping tightly before I could move. "I don't think that's a good idea." He almost hissed.

"He's alone. All he probably wants is someone to talk to." I spoke in a loud whisper, attempting to pull Calum's grip off my arm.

"He needs to be alone Lexie. It's hard to get over something like that." Ashton admitted quietly.

"He's all by himself, I'm just going to see if he's ok." I spoke in honesty.

"I'm being serious." Calum replied.

"Yeah, me too." I pulled off his grip finally.

Calum already tried to reach for my hand again, calling my name quietly in a hoarse voice but I was already halfway to Luke's side. Once I got closer, I nervously gulped before walking around the foot of the table and slipping onto the free seat opposite him.

Luke's head was turned away from me, hidden by the angle of his head but when I sat he slowly turned his head to tilt it into my direction. I hadn't realised until now his eyes were a beautiful colour blue, and my lips parted at the sight of their beauty but I immediately shut my mouth when I realised my mouth was becoming dry. Luke's eyes slowly widened at my appearance but became back to regular size again, and he looked me up and down with a worried look. The occasion looked like it was very rare that somebody came and sat with him.

The silence held for too long and I awkwardly glanced down, fixing my hair behind my ear. "Well, I'm Lexie. With an e." I laughed at myself.

He simply nodded at my statement, mumbling something quietly under his breath that I wasn't able to catch on to. His head was again turned to me, but this time he pulled and tightened the strings of his hoodie to hide even more of his face from my view.

Sighing quietly, I glanced to notice Calum, Michael and Ashton who were making extreme and over-reacting hand gestures for me to return back to my seat. They were shaking their heads at my decision but I just rolled my eyes and turned back to Luke, who was now looking at his lap and fidgeting with the ends of his fingers.

"Your friends are calling you." He finally spoke up.

"Yeah, I know." I chuckled softly. "Look, I just wanted to say.." I paused barely. "I heard what happened with you and your girlfriend-"

"Who told you that?" Luke's head snapped up immediately but his question came as a weak whisper, and his body seemed to stiffen at my words. His breath picked up and I nervously looked in his eyes, knowing I should've just stayed quiet.

"Who?" He repeated angrily.

"It's just been going around-" I started, mentally stopping myself. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything."

His teeth fiddled with the lip piercing, and he held a long stare with me, his eyes glistening with tears and a lump formed at the back of my throat at the thought of those previous events I had reminded him of. He finally looked away and attached his fingertips around his hair, pulling.

"My friends told me." I shrugged simply. "I shouldn't have said anything, I'm sorry. I just wanted to see if you were ok."

A slight laugh left from my parted lips but Luke didn't seen to pay attention as his mind was fixed on other things. I watched as his grip tightened around the edges of his lunch tray as they began to tighten and the discolour of his knuckles as they began to turn white.

I jumped with a shock as Luke angrily pushed his tray forward to send it flying across the other end of the table. Everything fell to the floor, spilling everywhere but Luke only rose from his seat and angrily trudged towards the exit, forcing the door open and slamming it shut behind him.

It wasn't until I looked up, I realised we'd created a scene and I nervously stood up to finally return back to my table of friends. They all remained silent as I sat back down behind the lunch table, hearing people finally return to their original conversations. I could already tell what Calum was thinking; 'I told you not to go over there.'

"Soo," Michael spoke in the silence, and I finally looked up. "How'd it go?" He asked, acting cheerful.

Ashton hit his elbow roughly into Michael's side, causing him to let out a quiet 'ow' when he rubbed at the now sore spot.

"He wouldn't talk so then I said I heard what happened and I was sorry-"

"You told him what happened?!" Calum cut me off with a loud whisper, his eyes wide. "Why would you do that?"

I rose my hands in defence. "I wanted him to know I was there for him, but obviously I didn't get to that part." I defended with a sigh.

"What happened after that?" Ashton asked.

"He went quiet again, got angry and stormed off." I spoke quietly. Embarrassed with myself.

"Don't worry." Calum spoke up, gently throwing an arm around my shoulder and pulling me to his side. "You tried to comfort him. It was the nice thing to do."

"I guess." I shrugged, disappointed.

"He's been through a lot, Lexi. Don't take it personally- I mean.." Michael paused. "He's probably just tired of it all. No-one can can get over something like that."

"I just wanted to give him sympathy."

"He's probably only had sympathy." He replied almost instantly. "I don't know, I guess he's just broken."

~

oh my god I know this chapter was no better than the last one and was probably even shorter! But I swear they'll get better! Yaa bye