f o u r t e e n

It had been a week since David's attack. 

A week since telling Dad about him. 

4 days since he was imprisoned. He was 18, he wasn't in Juvenile, it was prison for him. I was struggling with that, of course. But it had to be done. 
Dad had taken a week off work but he was going back today. I had also taken a week off school. Noelle stayed a night, and I talked everything through with her. She had also said Julien was sorry that he couldn't have been there. He was sorry. I ignored that part but now it was all I could think about. 
No matter what, if he was in trouble, I would've been there. He also felt the need to apologise for missing it, making it sound like it was the main event and some show. Safe to say I was pissed. But whatever.

Today was Monday, and I would be going back to school. From what Ashley had told me, word had gotten out that David was an abuser and that he had tried to murder me or something in the classroom, which, wasn't entirely wrong. But I didn't want that for him. He didn't need to be known as an attempted murderer. I heaved myself out of bed and sighed at the sight before me. I looked like trash. It was raining, almost storming. And I seriously contemplated just staying in bed, but I had to go. I had to finish school, it was only 4 weeks to go. I could do it. I put on a long jumpsuit that had long sleeves and a jacket. I might as well put some effort in considering I would be started at a lot today. 

I made myself a grilled cheese and put it in my bag. I had asked Ashley to pick me up, so that I could stop by the diner and grab the caretaker a coffee. Rain or shine, he was always outside. I didn't want him to freeze. I hear her car and I head outside, I had timed it right as the rain stopped for 5 minutes. 

"Hey, you ready for today?" 

"No. But I have to go." She nods and squeezes my hand. "We are a strong pair of ladies aren't we?" 

"We sure are." She makes the drive to the diner, and I quickly head in to grab the coffee and a muffin. I ignore the group of bikes parked in the shelter, determined to not stop. I had to make it to school. I pay for the things and turn to leave, but a familiar voices stops me. 

"Maia?" I stop. 

"Julien." I turn and look at him, a face full of no emotion. He didn't say anything else so I left. I get back into Ash's car but not before sending one last look his way. I didn't know why it was so dramatic. We had only made out. It wasn't as though we had confessed our love for eachother. I hold the hot coffee, wishing I hadn't of stopped. 

"You okay?" Ash asks as we pull into school. "you were rather quiet." I shrug, getting out of the warm car. I look around for the caretaker and smile when I spot him walk to his shack. I say bye to Ash and make my way to him, ignoring the stares. I called out to him and he turns around. I jog to him and hold out the coffee and paper bug with the muffin. 

"Oh Maia, just what I need on this cold day." He gratefully takes the bag and asks me inside. "I heard about your recent troubles," I watch him struggle to sit in his chair. He had really made this place homely, and I wondered if he actually lived here. "I don't want to force you to talk about them, but know I am forever here." I smile and say I should get going. 

"Enjoy the muffin, I hope it's still warm." I leave his shack and make my way back into school. 

I got a few sympathetic smiles from some girls but majority of my day was filled with curious stares, whispers, avoidance. I couldn't wait to just get home. 

*AUTHORS NOTE*
I was thinking about it and, I wondered if I would need to put a warning before any 

seemingly abusive or violent chapters? 

Let me know if you would appreciate the warning.

Loves x