t w e n t y - o n e

When Sabine left, I tried to get Dad to explain his real thoughts on the situation but he brushed me off and started to cook dinner. Fine, two could play at this game. I storm back to my room and look for some gyms in lower Manhattan. I had to be fit to be able to actually last if I was to fight someone. After being satisfied with my choice on 22nd Street, I put on some work out gear and ask Dad to drive me there. He said in 20 minutes. My phone started to ring and caller ID said from Metropolitan Correctional Center. My breathing hitches, Julien.

I answer it and press the buttons the automated voice tells me too, and wait to be put through to him. 5 seconds later, I hear the background noise and wait for him to speak. 

"Maia?"

"Julien." I sigh.

"Hey."

"Hi."

It wasn't awkward, but I wanted to just hear him talk. 

"I miss you."

I hear his breathing quicken, "I miss you too." I hold on tight to the phone, never wanting it to end. But I know he only has 5 minutes. "Have you got your sentence yet?" I whisper. How long would it be for?

"4 years." 

I gasp, no. No way. "But you can get out early on good behaviour right?" That was too long.

"I guess, but given my circumstance, I highly doubt it." He was right, him being apart of a gang didn't look good. But the guy didn't die, so we should be lucky with his sentence, right? "Listen, Maia. I don't want to talk about this with you. It's not what you need to hear. I just want to ask you to wait. Wait for me? And please, take any help Gabriel or Sabine gives you. I need you to stay safe." I draw in a deep breath. 

"Okay." Okay I will wait, okay I will take the help. 

"I love-" but the call disconnects.