Chapter Two

IRIDESCENT

CHAPTER | TWO

The jingling of a tiny silver bell went unheard by the many occupants in the small yet bustling cafe, all bar one. The girl sat at a small round wooden table, a cold cup of coffee placed to the side of her unopened book.

She was expecting someone, hence her attentiveness toward the bell above the cafe door, perking up each time the slight breeze hit the underside of her bare thigh.

He appeared a few minutes later, his hand ruffling through his hair as he surveyed the room, eyes settling on a girl who sat alone, waiting for him.

She was beautiful, brunette, with chestnut coloured tones running through her hair, most likely lightened by her time in the sun.

"Jessica, right?" He asked with a smile.

"That's me." The girl responded, her eyes twinkling over the brim of her latte.

Across the room, with a bitter taste in her mouth, Cheryl Blossom scowled. Her red nails clacked against the woodwork, heels swinging almost dangerously under the table.

Kyle Clarke was meeting a girl - and it wasn't her.

Savannah had mentioned to Cheryl at the hospital the other day that Kyle was meeting a girl from high school, an old flame who was visiting Riverdale. Cheryl did not like that at all.

The boy had been kind to her, taking care of her after the incident. She'd fallen asleep next to him, thinking how easy it had been, how content she had felt in his company.

"Forgotten me already, Clarke?" Jessica laughed lightly, placing her mug down to rise from her seat and embrace the tall boy.

"You? Never." He replied with a smile.

Cheryl grimaced. Her fingers danced across the book she brought, never intending on reading it. She picked it up and opened to a random page, listening to their conversation as the minutes ticked by, and their words seemed never ending.

Until Jessica finally stood and with a smile, said the words that Cheryl had been longing to hear. She had to go.

They shared a hug and Kyle retook his seat for a moment longer, finishing the drink that he had ordered before he, too, stood as if to leave. It was as he turned around that a flash of crimson hair caught his eye, Cheryl Blossom.

"Cheryl?" He asked almost hesitantly, moving across the cafe to the girl who hid behind a book.

The girl smiled, almost secretly, and placed down her book, letting the pages spring back together as she no longer needed her cover. "Kyle? Oh, my goodness, it's so good to see you."

She didn't stand, and Kyle didn't sit.

"Yeah, it's been a little while." Kyle nodded solemnly, "I'm really sorry about your mom, how is she doing?"

Cheryl inwardly rolled her eyes at the mention of the woman, but put on a fake sad smile, "She's doing okay, I guess. She tried to save me from the fire, if not for her..." She trailed off.

Kyle didn't press her to continue and placed a hand on her shoulder. "If there's anything I can do."

"Of course." Cheryl nodded, her eyes locking onto his. It seemed so odd, yet so comforting, that as she stared into the eyes that looked so much like her friend's, she felt like he knew her more than anybody.

Kyle lifted his hand from her shoulder and with a final smile, he said, "It was great seeing you, Cheryl."

She couldn't even open her mouth to respond to his goodbye, for he was out the door and down the street in a matter of seconds.