Chapter 5

At exactly six o' clock, eight hungry teens wait in line to be served the requisite bread, pasta and potatoes. There is never any protein. Never any vegetables. It is all part of the behavior modification program.

"Can you believe this crap they're giving us?" Hope says.

"I would think you'd love the menu. No animals were harmed in the making of anything we eat," Quinn says.

"Sure, now you can speak. You always have so much to say when you're not on the stage. What's up with that? You got some kind of condition or something?" Hope says.

"I don't want to talk about it. Just leave me alone," Quinn says, lowering her head, letting her hair fall in front of her face.

"You started this war."

"Leave her alone, Hope. You know how it is. She's not right in the head. Remember? Yesterday? Girl hit the floor before her name got called," Jonah says.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll give her a break. This time. You got lucky. Don't push it," Hope says.

Quinn swipes the hair from her face when she feels a hand grab her by the shoulder.

"Come with me. Now," Eva says.

"But, I didn't get anything to eat yet. Where are you taking me?"

Eva stares at Quinn, stone-faced and silent.

"I didn't do anything!" Quinn whines.

Eva draws her hand back, spreads her fingers wide, then slaps Quinn's face — hard. Disoriented, Quinn stumbles back, knocking the tray out of Hope's hand. It crashes to the floor with a loud clang. Quinn flinches, her body quivering as she turns to watch Hope wipe greasy chunks of potato off her shirt. They exchange a look.

"I'm..."

Eva spins Quinn around before she could say the word sorry.

"No questions. Come."

"But..."

Eva grabs Quinn's arm.

"Please don't put me in the box! I'll change! Whatever you want me to do, I'll do it! Just don't put me in the box!"

Quinn digs her heels in, trying to resist the force of Eva's grasp. Her body shakes. Tears fill her eyes and slowly drip down her cheeks.

"I will not say it again."

Eva's voice is steady and firm. She tightens her grip, squeezing until Quinn's arm turns red.

"Please, you're hurting me," Quinn sobs.

Eva digs her fingers in until she feels bone.

"Okay! Okay! I'll come with you! Just please stop. Let go of my arm."

     Eva releases her grasp and Quinn, like a wounded animal, follows her out of the cafeteria.