Chapter 10

Eva enters the girls' quarters, clipboard in hand, spectacles perched near the tip of her nose.

"Where's Britt?" Tess asks, tightening her ponytail.

"No questions. Unless you would like to join your friend? She did not do well in the treatment," Eva says, jotting down notes as she surveys the room.

"What happened to her?" Hope asks.

"You shouldn't ask questions," Quinn says, reclining on her cot, staring at the ceiling.

"You should listen to your friend. She is learning. You should learn also. Questions will only cause trouble for you," Eva says.

"Well, I'm not a mindless puppet like Quinn. You can't control me and you can't shut me up. I'm not afraid of you," Hope says.

"You should be. Soon enough, you will be."

Tess watches Quinn pull her knees in tight and turn to face the wall.

"Maybe you shouldn't..."

"Maybe I shouldn't what, Tess? Have a brain? Have a mind of my own?" Hope says.

"We don't even know what happened to Britt. I don't think you should push her," Tess whispers.

"Don't tell me she got to you, too," Hope says.

"I just don't think we're in the position to...you know. Maybe we shouldn't rock the boat."

"Listen to yourself. Do you even hear what you're saying? They're gonna do whatever they want anyway. Why should we make it easier for them."

"I know you do not believe it, but we are here to help you. If you complete the program, your life will be spared," Eva says.

"What are you talking about? We didn't kill anybody. Why would we be..."

"No more questions. I have said too much already. Come with me, Miss Tansy," Eva says, grabbing Hope's arm.

"Don't touch me!" Hope shrieks, yanking her arm away.

"Do not force me to call for assistance. It would not look good for you," Eva says.

"Just go with her, Hope. The quicker you do, the quicker you'll get back here and we'll be that much closer to getting out of this place," Tess says.

"You really think she cares about us? She doesn't," Hope says.

"Even if she doesn't, we still need to finish the program to get out of here. You know the alternative is worse," Tess says.

"Is it? Is it really?"

"Listen to her, Hope," Quinn says. "Conformity is key."

"Stop that! Just stop talking! You sound like an idiot. A brainwashed idiot. Just sit on your bed and count the holes in the ceiling or something."

"Your friends..."

"They're not my friends! I've never seen them before I got stuck in this place and I don't plan to see them once I get out of here. Let's just get this over with."

"It is not too late to be transferred. I can make a phone call and have you released into the general population of the prison."

"We're just trying to look out for you, Hope. Do what she says. Conformity is key."

"If I have to hear you say that one more time, Quinn, I'm gonna lose it."

"She's just trying to help. We both are," Tess says.

"Fine! I'll go with you!" Hope says to Eva. "Anything to shut them up."