Chapter 13

The cafeteria is busy with the clatter of dinner trays banging as they hit the long white table. At one end, Delphia chomps on a carrot while looking over her notes. Sitting at the other end, Cole is skimming pages, lost in thought as he absentmindedly shoves raisins in his mouth. Eva, diligent as always, stands guard, watching the teens pick at their pasta and potatoes. Ender casually glances at Eva, waiting for the right moment to give Jonah the signal. Time passes as he slurps the strands of spaghetti from his plate. Finally, Eva turns her head. Ender nods in Jonah's direction. Jonah returns the nod. Ender smiles. Before Eva can turn around, Jonah hits the floor hard, writhing around, grunting like an animal.

"Somebody help him," Tess screams.

Xander races to his side. He crouches down and wraps his muscular arms around Jonah's legs, pretending to hold him still. Jonah continues thrashing about, his arms swinging. Delphia runs over and starts barking out orders.

"Quick, Dr. Sinnott! Help hold him down. Don't let him hurt himself."

Cole squats down next to Xander and places his full weight over Jonah's chest and arms.

Jonah shakes his head side-to-side, trying to free himself.

"Don't just stand there! Get the nurse, Dr. Sacavage!"

"I think you should..."

"No, Dr. Sacavage. I'm in charge now. Go get Nurse Lunar while I tend to him," Delphia says, shoving a rolled up towel under Jonah's head.

"Did you just give me an order, Dr. Hale?"

"What are you still doing here? Go!" Delphia says, barely looking in her direction.

Dumbfounded, Eva does as she is told. She leaves the cafeteria, mumbling under her breath as Cole and Delphia continue to be duped by Jonah's performance. Ender seizes the moment and fills Tess in on what he knows. By the time Eva returns with Nurse Lunar, Jonah is laying calmly on the floor under the weight of Dr. Sinnott.

"I don't know what happened," Delphia says. "One minute he was fine, and then..."

"Has this ever happened before, Mr. Wells?" Nurse Lunar asks, shining a light in his eyes to check his reflexes.

"Only once. A long time ago. I was very young," Jonah says, trying to keep up the facade.

"You'll come with me. I want to run some tests before letting you return to your room. Just in case," Nurse Lunar says, noting that his pupils are normal and responsive.

"Do I have to?" Jonah asks. "I'm fine now."

"You will do as you are told," Eva says. "You will be allowed to join the others after you have been cleared."

"I'm not contagious. They can't catch it," Jonah says, wanting to stay with Ender and the others.

Ender nods his head slightly. Jonah picks up the cue and follows her out of the cafeteria.

"I think we have all had enough excitement for one day. You will be returned to your rooms and await further instructions," Eva says.