Chapter 2: The Special Guest

"Hello?... oh is you, it has been a long time... yes... Hmmm..." Back in the mansion where Kyuzo lives, she hears a phone conversation in the hallway and finds out is her mother, she hides in a corner immediately. (I wonder who is calling with her, mother seems happy...) "... So tomorrow? Of course, you will love her as you want to accept her to...." The following lines Kyuzo can't hear clearly, (Accept who? Her? Me? Onee-san?) later on as her mother hangs up the phone, Kyuzo leaves her hiding place and tries to walk normally in the hallway as her mother sees her coming and rushes to her.

"Kyuzo, I got big news! An old friend of mine is coming to Moscow and will come to our dinner to have lunch. I want you to cook for his meals tomorrow, got it?" (Wait! Tomorrow? Shouldn't the restaurant be close on weekends? What so sudden I need to cook on that day?) Of course, she can't refuse so she accepts her mother's request. "You will?" "Umm... yes mother... I... I will do my very best." Her mother jumps with joys down the hallway, "Yeppii!!" But for Kyuzo, is still a mystery.

The next day is weekend, Kyuzo arrives at her dinner, dresses up smartly in her Chef uniform and calls all her low hands. "Listen up, an old friend of my mother is coming for lunch, do your best and show the greatest gourmets we ever have." "Yes, Chef!" Then all people in the kitchen started to work and prepare the best ingredients, Anzur Atago, same age and a classmate of Kyuzo works in her mother's restaurant as a Part-time Chef and she was called for help. "Hey Kyuzo-chan, what friend of your mother looks like?" "Well, I don't know Atago-chan, maybe handsome or a strict person?" As they are working together, they are called by Kyuzo's mother. "Kyuzo... Anzur-chan, our guest wants to meet you both." "Coming!!" As both of them left the kitchen to the dining room, they are so shocked. 

"Ladies, meet my old teacher from my high school. You all may call him Sensei (In Japanese means teacher) ." The girls can't believe that the guest is an old, wise, super strict, Japanese, traditional dressed muscular man, they bow politely. "It.. it is an honour to meet you Sensei." He bows back and nods his head, "Hmm... so this is Kyuzo, the talent Chef in your own dinner, am I right Mifune-san?" "Of course she is, as well as my little sweet daughter's classmate." 

*[Kyuzo's surname is named after her mother, but not her father, still a mystery]*

The old man shows a smile and looks at Kyuzo and Atago, "Well, today I would like to come to the kitchen to see how you two cook and to present the dish for me, show me your skills." "Hai! Sensei!" Both girls enter the kitchen and start preparing the ingredients they need, their colleagues look them aside. As they are cooking, the old man notices the main ingredient they are using, snails. (Hmm, this is going to be exciting for me. Seems they have so creative skills and knowledge.) Then minutes later, "The butter will be done in 5 mins Kyuzo-chan." "Ok, after that can you prepare the porridge next, please? I will spice up the snails after I finish the rest of the slices I did. Also, pass me the bouquet garni of bay, thyme and rosemary please, this need to take bit time so fast and smooth, and don't rush." "Yes, Chef!"

Not moment too soon, they spoon the porridge on to a plate and top with ham. Toss the fennel with the vinegar and walnut oil, season, place on porridge and ready to serve. "Here you are Sensei, please enjoy our special menu, the snail porridge."

*An actual recipe by British Chef Heston Blumenthal*