Chapter 12: The Camp of Hell (Part 1)

Halfway to the first term, the academy had planned a training camp for all senior high students to task with. Three days before the departure, Kyuzo was in her dormitory reading a guide book, then Isshiki passed by. "So you are looking at the coming training camp?" Kyuzo looked up as Isshiki sat next to her, "Ah Isshiki-senpai, I would like to have some advice from you. So what kind this camp is?" He paused a moment and continued, "To be honest, this camp is a true dungeon to all students. If you remember the competition in Totsuki's education, this is what we are talking about." Kyuzo started to deep think, "I recalled that the director spoke of the one percentage, that's where the selection process really begins. So senpai, did you also joined the camp last year?" "Yes, of course. Even in my time dozens got sent home and expelled every day." Stress was building up in Kyuzo's heart, she closed the booklet and sighed, "Well, the real war to fight for the top has begun."

Three days later, the students from Polar Star Dormitory went to the rally point where coaches where parked, Megumi started to whining, "My stomach hurts." Atago put her hand on her shoulder, "Don't worry, we got your back." During the voyage, dozens of Totsuki's coaches running through the highways. As time passed, they arrived a place with a huge glittering lake beside it, it's the Totsuki Resort Hotel. As Kyuzo and her dormmates got out of the coaches, they were surprised by the look of their "camp" site. "Wow, so this is our campsite? Guess this school isn't full of rich people for nothing. They do run such titanic luxurious hotel!" Said Kyuzo as Shun explained to her, "All the hotels and inns and around here are part of Totsuki." Then Zenji added, "They manage a dozen or so accommodations as part of the Totsuki Resort brand, and graduates often end up working in the resorts culinary division." "That's a huge opportunity for graduates' working experience and practical internships," said Atago and Shun added. "I've heard it costs upwards of 80,000 yen per night at these places." Then Megumi, Yuki, and Ryoko were stunned by the number, "That's like a month's rent!!" Kyuzo was a bit surprised, "As I went for the global tasting event, this price is almost the same to the certain hotels for a basic room, but I mostly have a presidential room back in my time." The rest of her dormmates clung to her, "Really?!" Atago added, "Actually Kyuzo-sama was from a very extraordinary rich family which runs a global food industry." Kyuzo started to feel embarrassed and blessed. "Wait, so we stay here tonight? This is super-exciting!" While Yuki was praising, Shun cut in, "What's if we can survive today's task..." Then Yuki boo him, "Boo, Ibusaki-kun, you're such a downer." "I am just a  realist," He said.

After they dropped off their bags, they went to the assembly hall for the briefing. While they arrived, the hall's surrounding was in huge intense, not many students spoke. As Kyuzo looked around the hall, she saw a familiar face. "Oh, Mito-san, it has been such a while." Ikumi turned around and started to blush, "M-Mifune?!" As they chatted for a short time, some other students were fixed their eyes to Kyuzo, "Looks, the transfer student." "Mifune Kyuzo..." As Ikumi felt it, she warned Kyuzo, "You have to be very careful, Mifune." "Don't worry, jealousy won't bother me." Soon, from the stage of the hall, there stood Chef Chapelle. "Good Morning students. I will now give a summary of the camp. You're scheduled to stay here for 5 nights and 6 days. In that time, you'll split off into several groups and take daily cooking tasks. Students whose instructors' evaluation fall below a certain baseline will be failed, sent back to the academy, then expelled." Megumi swallowed as Chef Chapelle continued, "As for how your tasks will be evaluated, we have invited guest lectures." Some students were more curious. "They are Tostsuki alumni who have graciously agreed to join us despite their busy schedule." The students were shocked as the guests stepped on the stage. The Totsuki alumni are geniuses who managed to remain in the 90th percentile, as all of them on stage, students were more excited to see some well-known chefs. 

"That is Chef Shinomiya Kojiro from the French restaurant SHINO'S, who's the first Japanese national to win the French Pluspol award!" Zenji explained in excitement, "Not to mention, Chef Mizuhara Fuyumi from Italian restaurant Ristorante F, and Head Chef Sekimori Hitoshi from the sushi restaurant, Ginza Hinowa!" "Wow! They're all people featured in magazines every month!" As Megumi was stunned, someone came close to her. "Girl who's innocent like the white clover." She turned around, there stood other alumni, Chef Donato Gotoda of the auberge, Tesoro. He held Megumi's hand and praised, "You may be the reason for my existence. Why don't we talk through the night till dawn at my auberge?" Megumi was confused then suddenly a jealous voice cut in, "Let go of her hand, Chef Gotoda." He stopped, "Ah Hinako." Behind him was a young lady in purple kimono with a traditional white apron, with a darken jealous face. Kyuzo remembered, "She is Chef Inui Hinako-senpai of the Japanese restaurant, Kirinoya!" Royko asked her, "You know her?" "Yes, if I recall was the day after my entrance examination, my mother booked an invitation night supper for me and Atago." "Really?! You are so lucky to taste her food!" "To be honest, I can't believe she was a Totsuki alumni!" In the meantime, Hinako turned to Kyuzo. "Oh isn't this my famous kohai who hold the name of the Tounge of Gods and Demons? I am so glad we meet again." Kyuzo bowed to her immediately, "It is my honour to meet you again, Inui-senpai." Then Hinako pushed Gotoda aside and held Megumi's hand, "I am so sorry that you have such frightening expression, by the way, you are so cute." She suddenly put her hand on Megumi's right cheek. "It makes me want to gobble you up." As Megumi still in confusion, Gotoda cut in. "Hinako, Chapelle-sensei is glaring at us, let's go." As they on their way to the stage, Hinako said to her, "Please come by my restaurant sometime!" Megumi was steaming and blushing as Yuki and Royko looked at her, "Psssh..."

Meanwhile, Zenji shouted in excitement, "Oh my! That's... the man who was the first in his graduating class and scoring the highest score in Totsuki's history in the graduation exam! He also turned down 800 or so offers from the high-calibre restaurants around the world to take the current position as the Head Chef and Company Director of the Totsuki Resort, Dojima Gin!" As Gin held up the mic, he started his welcoming speech. "Welcome students to my Totsuki Resort today. Each of the alumni who had gathered here today are chefs who own their own restaurant. Starting today with the following six days we will treat you as we would our own staff. However, those are you who cannot perform to our expectations... will be fired! Means expulsion." Students were listening carefully for the following instructions, "As you may have already seen, you may be dismissed at the drop of bat depending on these lecturers. I wish all of you best of luck. Now proceed to your groups!" Kyuzo and Megumi said goodbye to their dormmates as they separated, the camp of hell has begun.