Chapter 12: The Camp of Hell (Part 2)

At the Training Site of Group F, Kyuzo and Megumi were ready for their first task under the supervision by Inu Hinako. "It seems you're all here. In my class, you'll be working in pairs which same as your first practicum of the semester. So please go to your working stations." After the list of groups was announced, Megumi trotted to Kyuzo with happy tears in her eyes. "Kyuzo-san! Thank goodness I am with you again!" Kyuzo smiled at her, "Yup, let's do our very best." Then, a young boy walked toward Kyuzo, "You are Mifune Kyuzo, right?" As she turned around, she recognised the student stood in front of her. "Well well, I presume you must be Takumi Aldini with your little brother Isami Aldini from the restaurant Trattoria Aldini in Italy, right?" Takumi was surprised, "How did you know us already in the first place?" Then Kyuzo explained, "I supposed you had forgotten that I went to your restaurant ten years ago." In a paused, Takumi soon realised that time who tasted his first creation and encouraged him on cooking was her, Kyuzo herself!

===============================
** Ten years ago **

In the Trattoria Aldini, an Italian restaurant in the city of Florence, Italy, Takumi was 5 years old at that time living at his father's and uncle's restaurant. "Uncle, what is happening in the dining room? Why just one table is full?" His uncle explained to him, "Today is a special day, a family full of famous tasters had come to visit our place. Come, let me help you get in your best clothes to meet them." After Takumi was in a waiter suit watching through the window counter, he saw a mother with four kids eating happily at the table as his eyes were attracted by a young 6 years old girl. 

"Hey, Kyu-chan! Eat slowly and taste it from the heart, have you forgot what I taught you?" Zara Solovyova, age 16, who was scolding her 6-year-old little sister, Mifune Kyuzo. "But it tastes magnificent..." "Nyet (No in Russian) but! How could you eat like a scavenger rat than an elegant lady! Do you want to mess up our mother and our family?!" Then, their mother cut in, "It's alright Zara, she is still small and much to learn how to be the best taster and chef like you, don't be rude to your little sister will you?" "But she is just my half-little sister! She may have our father's blood but not your's blood, neither our's blood!" Then, Kyuzo's half-elder brother and second sister, Vyacheslav Makarov (13) and Klara Solovyova (9) joined the conversation as Vyacheslav spoke first, "Please Zara-nee, you don't have to be in hard mode to her, she also held the blood of that Japanese family which means you both will be great partners in the future." "He is right, anyway she needs time to learn. I am glad she was able to taste different tea with her eyes blindfolded, right Kyu-chan?" Zara was jealous, "Stop clinging on her Klara! She is mine!"

After the meal, Takumi was brought to the front by his uncle. "May I introduce my nephew, Takumi Aldini." 
====================================

As Takumi woke up from his realization, Hinako sat down on her bench with a traditional tea set next to her. She opened a bag of tea snack and start nomming on it, "Now, if you have any question, I will be sitting here so feel free to ask me." Then one student asked, "Umm excuse me, Chef Inu, you haven't given us the proper instructions yet." "Oh, is that so? Let me see..." She stood up, "Hmm, my task for you today is... to use the "ingredients" here to create a main dish which could serve in Japanese cuisine." She pointed to a table where the "ingredients were presented", but there is nothing and empty on it. Another student replied, "But there is none." "Of course there is, we are in glorious nature, right next to a clear stream and there are ingredients galore." As Hinako explained, the students started to get the idea. "There are spices, condiments, and oil, not to mention cooking utensils. You are welcome to use other tools, such as fishing poles. We are currently on a private property which is encircled by a fence. However, if you cross that fence, you will be disqualified. Furthermore, secure your ingredients from this limited space and prepare them. Finally, if the dish you created finds my satisfactory, you will pass. You will have two hours, you may begin." After she clapped her hands once, a paused moment of silence, then... "Huh? It's begun?!" "You have to speak up!!" As all the students panicking, they ran out of the room as soon as possible. 

Meanwhile, Kyuzo and Megumi were ready to go for ingredients, Takumi called them, "It's face-off time, Mifune!" "Huh?" Kyuzo was surprised. "Let's decide who's the better chef." He turned to Hinako and asked, "Chef Inu, I would like you to make the call. Please exercise your rigorous judgment and decide whose cooking has a better taste!" But she replied, "Um? That has nothing to do with my task, so I would prefer not to." Then Takumi frozen, "Oh, well, I suppose." Then, Kyuzo started to imitate him with a noblewoman's laugh by smirking him. "Oh my, how unfortunate, what are you gonna do? Because you got on your high horse and making everyone uncomfortable. OHHHHHHH-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho-hoooo!!!" As he got imitated, Isami couldn't stop laughing at him, "That's really lame, Nii-chan!" "Shut up! Don't laugh will you too!" Then Takumi faced Kyuzo, "I-In any case, I cannot lose to you! I will make a dish that tops yours! Do you got it?! Mifune!" As Isami dragged him away for the task, then Megumi said to Kyuzo, "Anyway Kyuzo-san, we should go, too!" "Alright, let's go!" As both of them rushed away, Hinako still sitting and said, "Good luck!"

As the students were finding the ingredients. Hinako thought. Everyone develops tunnel vision when placed in an unfamiliar situation. Their thinking slow to a crawl, and they misjudge their options. This task is merely a small warm-up exercise. She took a sip of her tea with a darkness evil face. Any chefs who are daunted by something like this were not needed at Totsuki.