•8•

Retribution.

"Punishment inflicted on someone as vengeance for a wrong or criminal act."

Once everything is said and done, would a person feel truly satisfied after harming someone else? Is punishing someone by your own means any different from putting a person in jail? The only difference I can think of, is that the person being punished didn't break a law.

They broke a person.

~

My eyes fluttered open, only to be hit by a strong ray of sunshine. I quickly sat up and attempted to stretch my limbs, as best as I could considering my circumstances. I'm surprised Abel didn't take the handcuffs off of me. Was he really stupid enough to kidnap a lawyer?

"Abel!" I screamed multiple times until he came running into the room.

"What is it mi amor?" He asked as he sat down next to me, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion as his eyes surveyed the room in search of danger.

"Let me leave. I have things that I need to deal with,"I glared at him as he contemplated what the best course of action would be, "Fine lets make a deal," the words escaped my mouth hesitantly.

I don't have all day and I'm not staying locked up here all day.

"What deal?" He asked, as he leaned in closer, giving me zero personal space.

"I'll give you whatever you want, if you let me go."

I'm going to regret this later.

Abel didn't even give me five seconds to back out before he uttered his next words, "cásate conmigo."

(Marry me)

"Que?! Estás completamente loco! I'm not going to marry you!" I screamed angrily.

(What?! You're completely crazy!).

"Why not?" He questioned in serious confusion, before breaking out into laughter, "I'm just kidding. I want you to be my girlfriend."

"How is that any different?!" His eyes lit up and I huffed covering his mouth with my hand before he could speak, "and why are you laughing? Is the idea of marrying me a joke to you?"

The veins in his arms became more prominent as he clenched both fists. He looked as if he were trying to hold himself back. It was a losing battle, I realized when he pushed me forcefully into the bed. What is it with him and manhandling me? He's always gripping me tightly as if hes afraid I'll disappear right before his eyes.

"Marrying you is not a joke. But I know you," he whispered his lips caressing my ear, "unless I had some horrible information to blackmail you with or I get you to love me again you would not marry me. You would rather stay in these handcuffs then marry me. But don't doubt for a second that I will marry you."

Refusing to acknowledge what he had just said I changed the subject back to what was important, "well I refuse to be your fake girlfriend," if I leave this place with anything at all, it will be with my trampled pride.

"Who said anything about faking? And I'm offering you this because you will be much safer if everyone believes you are my girlfriend."

"What do you mean safer? Safe from who!"

He glared up at the ceiling mumbling, "so many questions."

He looked down at me and suddenly his eyes darkened, a warning swirling within them. As scary as the look he was giving me was, I wasn't scared. He's already broken me, there isn't anything I have left to lose anymore.