1. Daughters, one, two, three

Glistening cobblestones, candlelight in the window and a single horse drawn carriage made up the early morning vista of Narrow Lake Massachusetts.

As the sunlight began to stream across the town, Beatrice climbed out of her bed and crossed the room to wake her sister. "Wysteria," she said shaking her. "It's time to get up."

Wysteria Winters sat up rubbing her eyes. Ever since she had that cold she had recently gotten over she hadn't been herself in the mornings. Both sisters washed up, got dressed then went downstairs.

Ladybird was already in the kitchen putting breakfast on the table. She placed a tray of bacon and eggs down. "Good morning."

Wysteria slipped into her chair. "I'm sorry, Ladybird," she said. "I know it was my morning to make breakfast."

"Don't worry about it," Ladybird said.

"Well I'll make it up to you," Wysteria said spooning eggs onto her plate.

"Well I couldn't," Beatrice said sitting down to the table with her mug. "I'm no good in the kitchen."

"Well at least you are good at school," Ladybird said joining them. "That is whenever you apply yourself."

Beatrice yawned. "I try to but Mr. Candlewood takes too long on the same subject."

"You just let yourself get too distracted that's all," Wysteria said then laughed. "You should see her in arithmetic, Ladybird. She just stares blankly out the window."

"Ah," Beatrice said holding up a finger. "But that is only after I have finished my lesson. I can't help it if I'd rather be on the tennis court."

"Just be glad, Beatrice that you even have time to play your sports," Wysteria said. "You could have to work after school like Ladybird and me."

Beatrice spooned eggs onto her plate. The last thing she wanted right now was a job that would rob her of her recreation.

/

The sky was well lit as Wysteria and Beatrice made their way to the school house. Beatrice danced around the cracks in the sidewalk while Wysteria walked at a slow even pace. Beatrice looked back at her and frowned.

"We'll never get to school at that rate," she said.

Wysteria shook the thoughts out of her head and caught up to her sister. "I was just thinking about the recital," she said. "I think this will be our best year yet."

Beatrice sighed. "Can you believe we've been living in Massachusetts for three long years now? The odd thing is I'm not home sick but it does feel like something is missing. What about you?"

Wysteria thought. "Well there are some things I miss about home," she said. "It gets a lot colder here than it did in Mississippi and everyone frowns up at my accent."

Beatrice laughed. "I guess it is the same for me."

They entered the school house with other girls and boys and climbed to the second floor. Going into the classroom they found Mr. Candlewood at his desk and four other students already present. The sisters took their seats next to each other and took a text book out of their desk.

"Say, Beatrice, do you want to finish our match today?" another student asked from behind.

Wysteria interrupted before Beatrice could jump at the chance. "Remember, Baby B, we have to visit Grandmother today."