29. Esto Perpetua

Tennessee was very quiet the following morning as they packed. Beatrice watched him double check that the fire was out as she sat alone at the table. Out the window she could see the mountains shimmering in the distance.

"Do you have everything?"

Beatrice turned to Tennessee. His voice sounded strange in the quiet morning. "I do," she said softly. "Will we be taking a train back?"

Tennessee paused with his back to her. He heard her feet shift as she crossed her legs then he slowly turned around. "We'll need to use all the daylight we can if we want to reach the mountain before night."

Beatrice head shot up. "You're...you're taking me up the mountain?"

"I'm taking us up the mountain," Tennessee said putting his backpack on. "If this is the last leg of the journey I don't see why we shouldn't complete it now."

Beatrice wanted to smile but she was too amazed. "Why...what made you change your mind?"

Tennessee glanced down at the fireplace. "It was more a change of heart. Now listen, it will be very dangerous in the mountains. There are animals and blizzards and avalanches and moose. What I'm trying to say is, we may not come back."

Beatrice looked down at the grain in the table. Was this really what she wanted? Follow this map to its destination and there I shall speak with you one last time.

Tennessee stared at her for a moment then looked out the window. "I'll be outside."

Beatrice hugged her pack to her chest and bit down on the coarse material. Her eyes fell on an old novel that had been stuck under the table to keep it from rocking. She pulled it out and the short leg struck the floor with a dull echo. She opened the cover and turned slowly through the molded pages. She looked towed the door when she heard Tennessee walking around outside then she picked up a half of a pencil that had long been resting in a crack of the table. She took a deep breath.

To whoever finds this letter, my name is Beatrice Anne Winters. I went missing roughly two months before my eighteenth birthday. I have gone up the mountain and may not return. Please let my sisters Ladybird and Wysteria know what happened to me. I beg they forgive my flaws and foolishness but this is something I must do or I will never be able to look at myself. I am sorry for the cruel things I said. Please forgive me. To whoever finds this letter, please send it to the address listed below.

With gratitude, Beatrice Winters

She tore the page from the book then placed the book halfway on top of it. Getting up from the table she took one last look around.

Tennessee looked at her as she stepped outside then he looked in the direction of the mountain then back to her again.

Beatrice nodded and they moved forward.

/

Ladybird folded her map of the park as a sharp wind blew the misting geysers in their direction. The air was a strange mixture of warmth and cold as the wind howled over the barren land and grazing animals. They had exhausted their funds to get this far and were very fortunate to have food which they owed to Sacha's skills.

Ladybird checked her broach watch. "Here it comes, Wysteria!" She grabbed her sister's hands and they counted down. Old Faithful took what felt like a deep breath then spewed her water into the air. The sister squealed at the sudden explosion, drowned out by the waterfall like roar of the spout.