8. The Dinner

Ladybird adjusted herself in the mirror for the hundredth time and sighed.

"You look perfect," Wysteria laughed.

Ladybird turned to the dresser and penned on the floral broach Philemon had given her when they first got engaged. "I hope so," she said. "I've been nervous about this dinner since it was first planned."

"They'll be your family one day so there is no need to be nervous," Wysteria said. "I'm the one who is always nervous and I feel fine tonight." She joined arms with her sister and they walked downstairs where Beatrice was waiting.

"You looked splendid, Ladybird!" she declared. "The boys don't know what they have missed." She opened the door and the three stepped out arm and arm and into the coach that had been sent for them.

"Just think, this is just for a supper. Imagine what the wedding will be like," Beatrice said as the coach rocked forward.

"Philemon already says he wants a carriage with six white horses and ten flower girls to walk behind me with baskets of white rose petals. The benches will be decorated with linen dyed sage and hydrangeas will hang from the ceiling," she sighed. "I would have settled for an outside wedding but he has persuaded me otherwise."

/

The coach arrived at the house which stood tall and white and aglow. The Yewtrees boasted three servants who greeted them at the door and showed them up the foyer to the lavish dining room. It was no secret that the Yewtree family was the wealthiest colored family in Minnesota or 'this side of the Colorado' as Grandmother Winters liked to put it.

The sisters were greeted by the Yewtree family. Mr. Yewtree at the head of the table and his wife to his right. Next to Mrs. Yewtree was Theodora Brown nee Yewtree and her husband George Brown. Across from his mother sat Philemon who pulled out Ladybirds chair so she could sit between him and her grandmother. Wysteria and Beatrice took their seats with less distinguished relatives.

The meal was served in three courses. Wysteria found herself full after the soup but Beatrice easily devoured her rotisserie chicken. Light laughter floated around the table as they watched how Ladybird presented herself before the family.

"She's a natural," Beatrice whispered to Wysteria. "Look how she glows like a prima ballerina."

"I'm really going to miss her," Wysteria whispered. "She doesn't realize it now but marrying into this family is going to keep her busy. She'll be expected to take a place among polite society and entertain guests of all sorts. That's not to bring running a household and raising children into the mixture."

Beatrice watched Ladybird talk away to Mrs. Yewtree then looked at Wysteria. "You and I should do something too," she said.

"What do you mean?"

"Well you've been offered to go to England right?" Beatrice asked and Wysteria nodded. "Well so have I."

"What? When?"

"Mr. Candlewood said I should go and reach my full potential. He said he'd pay for my expenses. He also said that I'd go with the Smiths in your place but I don't see a reason why we both can't."

Laughter momentarily distracted Wysteria. "Is that what you want, Beatrice?" she asked. "Truly? Are you sure Mr. Candlewood won't ask for something in return?"

"He only asked that I think about it," Beatrice said. "It would be a wonderful opportunity. For both of us." Beatrice felt someone staring at her and she looked up to see a young man burning her with his eyes. She looked down at her plate to avoid his gaze and was thankful when desert was served and he had something else to occupy himself with.