26. The Secret Hills

China Doll dismounted behind Lazarus as they rode into the temporary campsite. She considered herself fortunate that they were so close. She followed Lazarus, the second in command of the Red Herrings to the center of the camp were Napoleon and a few selected scouts sat around a fire pit.

When Napoleon caught sight of her his face brightened. "I was beginning to think you weren't coming back."Thank you, Lazarus," he addressed his friend who then took a seat around the fire.

"The Windstalkers have turned to robbing the coach roads again and leaving no survivors," China Doll relayed. "They are also stopping trains. There was much talk on raiding our camps and January Frost is still interested in finding Amos Winter's treasure."

Napoleon nodded. "You heard nothing of who may have killed Andre?"

China Doll shook her head. "Nothing," she said. "But he keeps me busy training his men. It takes time, for most of them don't want to learn from a woman. I only got away this time because he sent me to trail Winters' daughters."

Napoleon shook his head. "So Tennessee convinced them to go."

"It's not that simple," China Doll said. "The two I was sent after are looking for their sister. I met her and Tennessee on the slope toward Yellowstone Park. If I delayed it was because I helped them."

"Helped them?" one of the scouts boomed. "Napoleon."

"Please listen," China Doll said. "Tennessee Wellbeloved may be part of the EAK but our fight is with the Windstalkers. I think we should help them. Anything to go contrary to what January Frost wants. Red Herrings aren't even after the treasure."

The scouts began to murmur against her.

"I don't like helping out the Knights."

"They are also the enemy."

"China Doll would want to help them. She used to be one of them."

China Doll glared at the scout. "I was their cook," she defended herself. "I never wore any colors until the Red Herrings raided their camp for chickens." She looked at Napoleon who hadn't come to her aid against his men. "Here is where my loyalties lie." She turned her back to him and went into his tent.

Removing her swords and bag, she sat herself on the mat inside and took down her braids. The flap behind her opened and Napoleon stepped in. "You might have defended me!"

"I don't agree with what you want," Napoleon said.

"Why not?" China Doll demanded. "You went to Massachusetts to warn Tennessee, how is what I want any different?"

Napoleon stayed silent for a while then spoke. "My men are just cautious when it comes to the Knights. They work very close with the law. Give me time and I will redeem my hypocrisy."

China Doll looked over her shoulder at him. "I will be glad when this is all over," she said. "It is very dangerous what we are doing." She sighed and closed her eyes. "The Windstalkers, they have a man with them called Philemon Yewtree. His family owns that mining company and he is out looking for his fiancé. January Frost says that his bad judgments got dozens of our countrymen drowned in a shaft." She shook her head. "You should have seen the way he shrugged it from his conscience."

Napoleon put his hands on her shoulder and kissed her temple. "I'm sorry you had to hear that, Ting Ting."

China Doll shook her head. "It is the same with the Windstalkers," she said. "Life is cheap, they do not care who is killed. That's why I want to help Amos Winters' daughters. Anything to go against them is justice for Andre."