2. Night calls

Sitting on the edge of her undone bed hugging her knees to her chest, Chloe looked at the green phone laying on the desk outside of her room.

Shaking her head she finally stood up and closed the door in order to keep rearranging her room which was full of boxes.

Chloe Beale moved in with her aunt and uncle days ago. She came all the way down from Louisiana where she lived with her loving parents. Her parents were successful managers back in Louisiana, Chloe's dad has always been a family kind of  man which was funny since they moved so far from their family. When Christian Beale, Chloe's grandad, got sick they couldn't afford to leave everything to take care of the old man so instead they sent their child to check I every now and then; and now there she was in Atlanta.

"Chlo, dinner is ready." a manly voice called from downstairs.

Putting the last things in place Chloe made her way downstairs.

"So how was grandpa today?" Her uncle Richard asked as he served himself some kind of salad that was on the table.

Chloe swallowed the food she was chewing before answering. "He's... stable but not a hundred percent lucid." She shrugged sadly.

Her aunt squeezed her niece's hand offering her a pitiful smile. Reachel has always been the "warm lovingly aunt", her and Richard were perfect opposites, not because he was a hard ass but because whenever someone was sad, Reachel would love the sadness out where as Richard is the kind of uncle who makes you laugh it out.

Once they finished dinner, the couple went for a walk with their bulldog since Chloe had offered to do the washing up.

Finishing scrubbing the last plate, she turned the water off. She let her lower back lay against the counter as she took a deep breath. She would be laying if she said she wasn't having a hard time. Feeling a warm tear roll down her face, she directed her eyesight somewhere else trying to make them stop falling.

She saw the phone.

That white cord phone against the wall.

"Darn it." She said to herself before taking her notepad out of the backpack that was on the living room.

The Junk-Mitchell family were gathered around the table, hands clasped and heads down. It was dinner time and as usually they were blessing the food, something Beca found stupid and useless.

"And thank you God for our health and for helping us bring the food to this table." Dr. Mitchell continued.

Beca rolled her eyes as she saw her family pray. "I'm sure as hell god was nowhere to be seen when I carried those heavy bags from the store." She muttered low enough so nobody could her it.

Emily snorted, Emily heard.

Dr. Mitchell opened one eye to look at his stepdaughter who would barely hold it together and then glanced to Beca, who seemed to be really into praying.

"amen." He said getting an amen from the other two women.

"awomen." Beca said earning death glares from her dad and stepmom.

Just before Beca could put the fork in her mouth, the living room phone started ringing.

Dr. Mitchell didn't hesitate to look at Beca and nod his head in the phone's direction, meaning she had to answer.

She dropped the fork with a growl. "I hate you all."

She picked the phone up with no intention in talking.

"Hello?" She asked uninterested.

Beca heard a shy voice speak. "Good evening, uh, is Beca home?"