charcoal

Charcoal- a dark smudgy, messy black represents bad situations and unwanted marks.
_______________________________

Jack got in the car and zoomed out of the driveway and down the street.
He locked all the doors before I could open them,
There was a grate separating Jack and I. I clawed and banged on it, I managed to wiggle it slightly and it started to become loose. But it had taken me so long that Jack had reached his destination. He spun the car around and got out. Ripping me out as well. I hit cold concrete, the cool air burning my skin.
My head stung and my muscles ached.
"I'll give it to you, you're a hell of a fighter." Jack smirked. I squeezed my eyes shut as I tried to ignore the throbbing pain throughout my whole body. I punched him in the face. He stumbled backwards, "The fuck is wrong with you?" I practically screamed. He turned around, his nose bleeding, he grabbed me and zip tied my hands together and to a chain on the ground, it was attached to an anchor. I fought against him, but he was simply too strong.

"What do you want?" I croaked.
we were out by the lakefront behind the boulevard
My breath visible in front of me.

He turned to look at me and I saw a deranged look in his eyes. One I didn't recognize.
"What do I want? I? I want you. We've grown up together, I need you." His voice was stern but there was a hint of desperation underneath.
What had Jones done to him?
His face remained stone cold, his attractive features stood out in the moonlight, and I think for the first time, I was scared of him.
Jack Griner.

What ever Jones had done to him it wasn't good, Jack was sociopath.
"So you abducted me?" I scoffed.
"No one can have you if I can't, Diana."
You are what is missing from my life." He crouched down in front of me.

"Jack-"

"No Diana- when you left. I saw how independent you'd become, how strong, smart, beautiful you really were. But then Remington got in the way-"
"What did jones do to you?" I asked, almost afraid of the answer.
"I know what he did to you now-" he took off his sweater and pulled down the sleeve of his shirt.
He threw his sweater to the ground. The gun coming out of the pocket.
He was burnt. Jones burned him with something.
It made my heart jump into my throat.
Jones was crazy enough to inflict this pain onto his own blood son. Jack almost looked proud when he showed me. "We can run away together." He smiled.

He was insane. The look in his eyes wasn't the same one I remembered. Sane jack was gone.
He pulled me up by the chain that binded me, but I shuffled away from his grip. I tried to pull the anchor with me to move away from him. But it was too heavy.
He grabbed it and dragged it along the floor it made a sound that hurt my ears. He brought it closer to me, and closer to the edge of the lake.
"Diana. Together. We can do anything. I will protect you, love you like no one else. We can be happy." He truly believed every word he said.
"No jack-" A car screeched to a stop infront of us.
Emerson and Remington practically bolted out of it. And came barreling towards us.
I felt relief wash over my heart.

I looked at Remington and then the gun on the ground. He quickly caught on and he dove for it before jack could.
Remington has definitely never held a real gun before and he was freaked by out the whole time.
"You're sick, Jack. Jones has made you sick. You need to let me go, I can help you." I spoke.
He grunted and huffed and looked around in a panicked motion.

Remington's eyes were fixated on me. Fear like I'd never seen before flooding through them.

"Get away from her buddy-" Emerson stepped toward him. Remington had the gun on a death grip.
"Stay back." Jack hollered.
"I'll drown her." He threatened.
"Like hell you will." I growled and tried to run at him.
He moved the anchor closer to the edge of the lake. I felt my breath drain.
If that anchor goes in. So do I. And I'm not coming back up.

I didn't dare touch him in case he pushed it a little too far.

My eyes.
Emerson's eyes
Remington's eyes
all filled with fear.

"You two are gonna get back in that car, and drive away. Diana stays safe and stays with me." Jack spoke.

"Jack." I protested.
He put his foot near the anchor and threatened to push it.
Remington gripped the gun and pointed it at him. "You have 10 seconds" Jack threatened.

This next bit was all a bit of a blur to me. It all fell in slow motion.
In the cold night, Remington Leith Kropp fired his first gun.

Jack went down, but seconds after, so did the anchor.
I felt my breath drain as the long chain began to fall down with it, Remington's eyes were wide "I love you." I mouthed and he dove for me.
I closed my eyes and was ready for the anchors gravity to kick in and pull me into the water.
I willed myself to be calm.

But arms were around me.

Another gun shot and the weight I felt within seconds had disappeared. I collapsed onto cement.

Remington had shot the chain only seconds before it would rip me into the water.

Emerson had his arms around me ready to go down with me.
He covered me with his body, Remington grabbed us both and I snapped out of the slow motion trance I was in.

Remington had picked me up and was carrying me to the car as he sprinted towards it.

My lip trembled in such fear. And I gripped onto Remington like it was the last thing I'd ever do.
It was my first conscious movement since it started.
The first thing my brain was telling me to do. Screaming at me to do.

Grab Remington.
Remington
Remington
Remington

Even in crisis he was all I thought about.
Emerson sped to his house and we ran inside. He cut me free of my ties and I hugged them to me with all my strength.
"I'm so sorry."
"I'm so so so sorry. I love you guys so much."
I breathed as I held their racing hearts to mine.

"Don't be, you should've woken one of us up." Emerson said.
"I didn't want you guys to get hurt." I spoke.
"What happened?" Remington asked me.

"That was my step-brother. Whatever Jones has done to him it was beyond anything he's ever done to me. Because he's insane. He's a sociopath, he wanted us to be together. He wanted to hurt you." I spoke and looked at Remington in my last words.

"We should call the police." Remington said.
"No." Em and I said in unison.
"You fired that gun, twice, you'll be in just as much shit." Emerson said.
Remington nodded.
"Jack was scared. He may have put up an act, but he was still definitely scared of me. He's definitely not dead, but he won't do it again." I said, not looking at either of them.

"His nose was bleeding." Emerson took note.
"Yeah, I Uh- I punched him in the face." I spoke quickly.
"You what?" Remington coughed.
"Nice!" Emerson cheered.

"Thankyou guys, for saving my life. I'm so so sorry it had to come to that." I sniffled a bit.
"You were ready to go down with me, into the water.." I looked at Emerson
"And you shot that gun twice, you could've killed someone for me." I glanced at Remington.
"You two, you mean everything to me. Thankyou for saving my life." I spoke with such seriousness.