011

Status: Edited

Status: Edited

"He's actually been happy these last couple weeks."

"No, I wouldn't say happy, but he's gotten better."

"He would be fine if you just. . ."

"Alright, Anderson. Enough."

"If you're going to transfer her, it has to be now. She could make him the best commander this school has ever seen."

"Call him in, Anderson."

"Will you, then?"

"I said call him in."

. . .

Two weeks later, I woke up one morning to find that a transfer slip had been tucked neatly into my locker sometime during the night. My heart skipped dangerously in my chest as I read it silently.

Name: Lara Flinn
Instructions: Report to Dragon Army barracks immediately. No items necessary.
Commander: Andrew Wiggin

My hand shook as I stared in disbelief at the slip of paper. This had to be some sort of sick joke, I thought darkly. But it couldn't be. The official IF stamp sat neatly at the bottom of the paper, confirming that Ender really had been given an army.

It was as if a heavy load had suddenly been lifted off my shoulders. No more running around hoping to catch glimpses of Ender around corners. We at last would be able to have a normal friendship. Or at least I hoped.

I was practically glowing as I made my way towards Bonzo to give him my paper. "Sir." I held it out for him to take.

Giving me a curious look, he accepted the transfer slip. I watched as his eyes skimmed the paper, features quickly turning hard. "Report to Dragon Army barracks immediately," He read aloud, continuing to scan the paper. His eyes froze at the bottom of the page where I could only image he was reading my new commanders name. A scoff escapes his lips as he looked back at me, barely concealed anger simmering just under the surface. "There's no such thing as Dragon Army."

I wasn't sure how to respond, seeing as he was right, so it was a miracle when one of the other soldiers spoke up. "It's got to be new," he said, his gaze flicking between Bonzo and I. "There's a code sequence flashing in the corridors that I've never seen before."

Straightening, Bonzo's gaze landed coldly on me before he handed back my paper. "Well? Get out of here then." His shoulder knocked into mine as he harshly brushed past me. "I'll see you around, Flinn."

Not looking back, I quickly made my way out of the Salamander barrack, glad to be away from Bonzo's dark presence. Following Dragon's color sequence, it lead me on a dance down the corridor. Twisting down halls and around corners, I jogged after the lights as excitement rushed through me.