015

Status: Edited

Status: Edited

Ender sat on his bed in the darkness after hearing the door slide back into place behind Lara, a sudden emptiness opening like a pit in his stomach. His heart was still pounding frantically from when she'd sat so casually beside him.

His mind raced as he watched the blinking red light of his digital clock. Had it been out of place to ask her to talk with him? Had she only come because he was her commander and felt she couldn't say no? Ender desperately hoped this wasn't the case.

Turmoil took over Ender as he second guessed himself. He'd never felt more confused in his entire life.

She wouldn't have asked to hang out again if she hadn't enjoyed herself, Ender reasoned. The prior emptiness he felt was suddenly replaced with butterflies at the thought of Lara wanting to see him again.

What was this feeling that came all too often with any thought of her?

As realization shook him, it felt as if a firework had gone off inside his head. The sudden need to see her overtook him, causing him to immediately jump to his feet. Over time, these feelings had steadily begun to take over his entire being, to the point where he could no longer keep them to himself, as they had consumed his mind with only thoughts of her. He knew what he had to do.

Ender made his way through the darkness to the door, pressing the button and allowing it to slide open. Quickly, he jogged down the corridor after Lara.

He was frantic to reach her before she made it to bed. It was as if a beast had woken up inside his chest, raging to be released. He had to find her. He had to tell her.

. . .

"Ho Lara."

Shock ran through me and I blinked to clear my confusion. "Ho Bonzo."

Bonzo's face stayed blank except for the shadows dancing across it in the dim corridor lights. "What are you doing up past curfew?"

I tried to keep my voice calm, suddenly reminded of the last conversation we'd had and specifically what it had been about. I glared suspiciously. "I could ask you the same thing," I replied.

He was silent for a moment as he scrutinized my face. "I was going to the bathroom," he said at last.

I gave an unamused snort. "Like hell. Sneaking around, more like." I held his gaze, eyes hardening.

His brow was furrowed now as he returned my glare. I expected him to retaliate with a snide comment to match mine, but his words almost made me fall over with surprise. "Look Lara, we don't have to be enemies," he said, watching me carefully.